Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Linux Squeezes ~20% More Performance Than Windows 11 On New AMD Zen 4 Threadripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux Squeezes ~20% More Performance Than Windows 11 On New AMD Zen 4 Threadripper

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux Squeezes ~20% More Performance Than Windows 11 On New AMD Zen 4 Threadripper

With currently reviewing the HP Z6 G5 A workstation powered by the new 96-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX Zen 4 processor, one of the areas I was curious about was how well HP's tuned Microsoft Windows 11 compares to that of Linux. In this article is looking at how the Microsoft Windows 11 performance is out-of-the-box with the HP Z6 G5 A workstation as configured by HP versus a clean install of Ubuntu 23.10 with the Linux 6.5 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I have found that WIndows 11 performance overall has imploded in the last 6 months across the board. I really dont know what they did but gaming fell off a cliff on my setup. My setup ironically is on a Threadripper 3970X (i.e. non-pro) but in a gaming VM. In the end I swapped the VM back to Windows 10 and all the stuttering/performance problems went away immediately.

Gaming on Linux via proton works way better then Windows 11 imho.

I do miss some of the UI/window manager tweaks they made in 11 though.

Comment

Michael

Please do not use GB6 and stick to GB5.

GB6 has insane MT scaling issues, in short it's nearly unusable for anything with more than a couple of cores.

Would be great if you posted GB5 results instead. You can get it here.

Thank you!

Comment

Even with Power Save governor. Windows is joke.

Comment

alias dnf=apt && disqualified(dnf) install peepshow | 3 months subscription| pay some bucks

Comment

It would be nice to see results from kernel 6.6 and EEVDF scheduler.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadhu View Post
              It would be nice to see results from kernel 6.6 and EEVDF scheduler.
              Separate article coming
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael
                I wrote in the Wayland section a news about Budgie replacing their Mutter fork with wlroots and collaborate with others such as Xfce and LXQt. It's not a perfectly redacted article I did, but it may serve you as a base. It would be nice if you ask the interested parties and a deeper article about it.

Comment

That's pretty amazing Micheal, thanks for running the benchmarks. Please keep them coming with other distros, from those far off the beaten path like Redhat/Fedora to pure Linux distros like Arch. It would also be interesting to see benchmarks with all distros running kernel 6.6. I know it can be done with Ubuntu using PPAs, and I'm assuming Redhat/Fedora must have something similar.

Comment

Seems like AMD_pstate is doing its thing. F_ck Windows - it's glorified spyware at this point. It's also funny that a nicely set up Linux distro can deliver a more consistent UI and UX nowadays. Oh how the tides have turned.

Comment

Working...
                    X