Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X & 7970X Linux Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X & 7970X Linux Performance Benchmarks

Last month AMD announced the Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series along with the new Threadripper PRO 7000 WX Series for bringing Zen 4 to the HEDT and workstation space. Ahead of AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series processors becoming available via DIY retailers on the 21st, today marks the review/performance embargo expiration for the Threadripper 7000 series. First up today is a look at how the new Threadripper 7970X 32-core and Threadripper 7980X 64-core processors are performing for Linux HEDT workstations... Or the TLDR: the incredible Linux performance and potential for a wide-range of creator and developer workloads now possible with the Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be interesting a benchmark Arch Linux vs Windoze using those CPUs.

Comment

Incredible code compilation performance. I have been waiting to see how these would perform for months, because the high end Ryzen 79xx series has been so potent. Interestingly it appears the CPUs are either power starved (by this specific motherboard, maybe?) or just thermally constrained so that they can't really stretch their legs.

Regardless, at the current price, they will remain only a dream for me at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha64 View Post
        Incredible code compilation performance. I have been waiting to see how these would perform for months, because the high end Ryzen 79xx series has been so potent. Interestingly it appears the CPUs are either power starved (by this specific motherboard, maybe?) or just thermally constrained so that they can't really stretch their legs.

Regardless, at the current price, they will remain only a dream for me at this point
        Doubt there is any motherboard constraints... AMD supplied this board to all the reviewers, so presumably is among the best of the initial batch of Threadripper 7000 series motherboards.

Also shouldn't be thermally constrained given the water cooling and air cooling numbers to be published shortly.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha64 View Post

I don't see any unusual performance issues. For each die you add, you're losing a decent chunk of performance due to the added latency. Schedulers aren't always so perfect, a lot of tasks can only scale up to a certain amount of threads, and not all tasks that can scale indefinitely will do so linearly.

Comment

I wonder how much performance is left on the table by using stupid old Ubuntu 6.5 kernel without EEVDF.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              I wonder how much performance is left on the table by using stupid old Ubuntu 6.5 kernel without EEVDF.
              I have some 6.6/6.7 benchmarks coming up soon for it but don't expect it to be anything like crazy...
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Doubt there is any motherboard constraints... AMD supplied this board to all the reviewers, so presumably is among the best of the initial batch of Threadripper 7000 series motherboards.

Also shouldn't be thermally constrained given the water cooling and air cooling numbers to be published shortly.
                Interesting, good to know. I guess the surprise for me is that the 7980x lost out to the 7970x in lower-threaded scenarios. But, the boost clock is supposed to be lower on the 7980x (5.1GHz) than the 7970x (5.3GHz - is that only for all-core boost, though?).

As for the comment about scaling cores with threads, I am well aware of that, which is why the allmodconfig kernel compile looks like one of the few that can actually saturate the threads on the 7980x...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I have some 6.6/6.7 benchmarks coming up soon for it but don't expect it to be anything like crazy...
                  Another potentially relevant question - do you have the UEFI set to emulate a NUMA system at all? I think it is called NPS in AMD terminology. NPS4 would probably give the scheduler the best hinting for this 4-channel RAM configuration. I have observed some kernels perform better with that set with my work Threadripper...

Comment

One thing the review didn't say is that Zen4 Threadripper lacks Pluton just like Zen4 Epyc lacks it:
                    Phoronix: AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series: Up To 96 Cores, DDR5 RDIMMs, PRO & HEDT CPUs AMD today announced the Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7000 WX Series as the company's long-awaited Threadripper update that brings up to 96 Zen 4 cores, RDIMM memory is now required for Threadripper platforms moving forward,

Comment

Working...
                    X