No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen Embedded 7000 Series Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the definition of "embedded TDP" change when I wasn't looking? Because when I read "embedded", I expect 5W, or maybe 15W for something particularly hungry with a bunch of I/O.

65W TDP is a reasonable desktop CPU. 105W is my absolute cap for anything. That's not embedded TDP.

And yes, I know the difference between TDP wattage and power-consumed-wattage, and that Intel has totally-not-scammed everyone for many years on the matter.

Comment

AMD does still make embedded CPUs, but I don't know what they are smoking calling these things embedded. Their GX series (Jaguar core, not Geode) had models in the 6-25W range. Probably their most modern offerings that can reasonably called embedded are the V2516 and V2718 which are Zen2 based and can be set to run as low as 10W. The V3xxx (Zen3) series is as low as 15W but as far as I can tell doesn't include any integrated video.

Comment

Embedded doesn't just mean small and low power. There are a lot of cases where you need fast, powerful processors with long availability and extended environmental validation compared to consumer parts. Think telco/networking equipment, edge, industrial, etc. AMD's embedded APUs are a better fit for smaller, low power use cases.

Comment

Working...
        X