Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Ryzen Embedded 7000 Series Processors

Phoronix: AMD Announces Ryzen Embedded 7000 Series Processors

AMD is announcing this morning in Bavaria (SPS 23 in Nürnberg) the Ryzen Embedded 7000 series processors, the latest addition to the Zen 4 family. The Ryzen Embedded 7000 Series are socketed CPUs intended for various embedded and edge applications in the 60~105 Watt space.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Humm. Still no fancy AM1-style successor. Even these "embedded" chips coming with desktop TDPs (65 and 105 W). Okay, with many cores and APU-GPU and fair amount of cache (big for embedded). But then it also remains to be seen what board vendors will put around it. And for what prices and availability. Maybe I'll be still waiting more years for something 5 - 25 W with 4 RAM slots and lots of SATA connectors and the like. "Strangely", there were several Intel Atom boards with this kind of config, ideal for home-NAS or similar purposes. Or something in the vein of the good old HTPC. AMD would have the media capabilities for that, though they lack in video acceleration. (Check recent VCN engines vs. older ones and vs. nvidia or intel, and you'll see; they took in some newer ones slowly, but kicked out MPEG2 (yes by now it would run in software without framedrops but still, an ASIC would do that for 300 mW and not stressing the CPU).).
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Humm. Still no fancy AM1-style successor. Even these "embedded" chips coming with desktop TDPs (65 and 105 W).
      From a cursory glance at the slides, they _are_ the desktop chips, just in a BGA package.

Comment

AMD is really missing out on embedded and industrial systems. Vendors like IEI are pretty dominant and they almost entirely do Intel only.

IMHO what I need in the factory I work is reliable, relative performant, ecc support, raid1, and plenty of options for various io and expansion. None of the Intel boards have ECC, and their fan-less cpu offerings are usually slow.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
          AMD is really missing out on embedded and industrial systems. Vendors like IEI are pretty dominant and they almost entirely do Intel only.

IMHO what I need in the factory I work is reliable, relative performant, ecc support, raid1, and plenty of options for various io and expansion. None of the Intel boards have ECC, and their fan-less cpu offerings are usually slow.
          If the factory you work didn't bought any AMD based system, is not AMD's fault. In the last couple years there were almost a hundred offerings, from several vendors, of embedded systems based on AMD CPUs. This year alone, they released so many options of tiny boxes with AMD APUs, that I stopped checking them out. For example, this is part of what Asrock alone is offering: https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/4x4

Now, if Intel is also pulling old monopolistic tricks in this market, is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

If the factory you work didn't bought any AMD based system, is not AMD's fault. In the last couple years there were almost a hundred offerings, from several vendors, of embedded systems based on AMD CPUs. This year alone, they released so many options of tiny boxes with AMD APUs, that I stopped checking them out. For example, this is part of what Asrock alone is offering: https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/4x4

Now, if Intel is also pulling old monopolistic tricks in this market, is another story.
            They need to invest in OEMs and make agreements, there's no other way because Intel exists. They must be aware of it, including Lisa Su.

Comment

If the factory you work didn't bought any AMD based system, is not AMD's fault. In the last couple years there were almost a hundred offerings, from several vendors, of embedded systems based on AMD CPUs. This year alone, they released so many options of tiny boxes with AMD APUs, that I stopped checking them out.
              100%. I actually use the DFI GHF51 and thinking about the PCSF51. Ryzen in an 1.8" SBC.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                From a cursory glance at the slides, they _are_ the desktop chips, just in a BGA package.
                The very first slide literally says Socket AM5.
                They're standard parts with a new name, like the EPYC Embedded 9004 series (Genoa).

Comment

It's about countracts and availability in existing supply chains. We (large/huge companies) do not easily go outside worked up supply chains to introduce new suppliers unless those are relatively large, stable and well proven in our segment. This is of course a catch 22 situation that isn't good.

AMD needs to work with OEMs like IEI, Moxa, Beckhof, Siemens and the other industry suppliers as well as their sales partners.

Comment

Mmm... 65 and 105 W TDP. Embedded?

Comment

Working...
                    X