No announcement yet.

Open-Source AMD OpenSIL Continues Making Progress To Eventually Replace AGESA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source AMD OpenSIL Continues Making Progress To Eventually Replace AGESA

Phoronix: Open-Source AMD OpenSIL Continues Making Progress To Eventually Replace AGESA

Back at the OCP Summit in Prague earlier this year AMD detailed openSIL for advancing open-source system firmware by opening up the CPU siliccon initialization process. An update was provided at the OCP San Jose event in October around the AMD OpenSIL effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks good. Will be interesting to see if others come on board besides AMD. I think AGESA has been a pretty good success story for AMD hopefully this continues the tradition in an opensource way.

Comment

The presentation by AMD's Raj Kapoor was joined by Srini Narayana of AMI.
      That AMI is part of driving this initiative surprised me, doesn't OpenSIL essentially make it easier for their competitors? What do they gain from OpenSIL?
      Last edited by johanb; 07 November 2023, 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

That AMI is part of driving this initialive surprised me, doesn't OpenSIL essentially make it easier for their competitors? What do they gain from OpenSIL?
        It's like Epic sponsoring O3DE, quite suspicious to me.

Comment

2026 is a long time to go
          Hopefully it will be very stable by then

Comment

That AMI is part of driving this initiative surprised me, doesn't OpenSIL essentially make it easier for their competitors? What do they gain from OpenSIL?
            maybe they have customers which would like a custom, coreboot-based firmware for their machines.

Comment

What is AMI losing from using OpenSIL to using AGESA what they so far used and all their competitors also use, they all cook with water.
              They all wrap their proprietary garbage black box around a common core that is either supplied by AMD or Intel.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"CPU siliccon" should be "CPU silicon"

Comment

happy to see mention and consideration of projects like Coreboot... Will Libreboot also be able to benefit or will it be considered too closed for their use?

Comment

The big tech companies are uncomfortable with binary blob software that they cannot inspect or control.

Comment

Working...
                    X