Apple Announces The M3 / M3 Pro / M3 Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    Nvidia was making Linux drivers 20 years ago, I remember running a Win 2k / Red Hat dual boot back in 2000, with a 900 mhz AMD CPU, 256 mb ddr, and a TNT2 and the system running flawless with both OSes.

I also remember trying to get an 8500 AIW, a 9700 Pro and a 9600 Pro running on Linux and wanting to strangle someone. Meanwhile cards like the Geforce 3 Ti200 and Geforce 4 Ti 4600 ran like champs with the Nvidia proprietary driver.

People love to rag on Nvidia, but of you want stable, reliable performance, especially on Linux, you buy an Nvidia card with the closed source proprietary drivers.
    I've had a lot of pain with nVidia GPUs in Linux over the years - getting a desktop with 3D acceleration working was usually fairly painless, getting CUDA and a GUI working was something else entirely. Lots of reboot to no GUI, faffing around with config files and soforth. It's been much less painful since the GTX1000 series, though.

I had a FireGL 8800 AGP which I picked up for cheap from a local shop when they had their closing down sale (back when "mom 'n' pop" computer stores were a little more common) and that system only ran Linux at the time. SuSE initially (which had other issues) but then Ubuntu... getting the drivers installed took a little bit of coaxing (which at the time wasn't really any different from nVidia) but I never had any serious issues, even running compiz, which could be pretty good at upsetting a temperamental GPU.

While I have fond memories of my earlier computing experiences, I don't miss the headaches getting stuff running, so those bits of hardware which never gave me grief stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I don't know what planet you're living on, but AMD's GPU support on Linux is miles ahead of Nvidia's?

And people are actually up-voting your comment?

Is everyone like 5 years old?

Nvidia was making Linux drivers 20 years ago, I remember running a Win 2k / Red Hat dual boot back in 2000, with a 900 mhz AMD CPU, 256 mb ddr, and a TNT2 and the system running flawless with both OSes.

I also remember trying to get an 8500 AIW, a 9700 Pro and a 9600 Pro running on Linux and wanting to strangle someone. Meanwhile cards like the Geforce 3 Ti200 and Geforce 4 Ti 4600 ran like champs with the Nvidia proprietary driver.

People love to rag on Nvidia, but of you want stable, reliable performance, especially on Linux, you buy an Nvidia card with the closed source proprietary drivers.
      I'm living in the year of 2023, not 2003. In the current year on this planet, AMD's Linux drivers are ahead of NVidia's. Neither support any of their in-driver solutions that Windows gets, but AMD's drivers are better integrated into the Linux ecosystem and from my own experience, significantly more stable. Shit, they're way more stable than AMD's Windows drivers.

If you're running Windows, then NVidia's drivers are better 1000%, but on Linux? Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

I'm living in the year of 2023, not 2003. In the current year on this planet, AMD's Linux drivers are ahead of NVidia's. Neither support any of their in-driver solutions that Windows gets, but AMD's drivers are better integrated into the Linux ecosystem and from my own experience, significantly more stable. Shit, they're way more stable than AMD's Windows drivers.

If you're running Windows, then NVidia's drivers are better 1000%, but on Linux? Nah.
        I have had zero problems with NVidia drivers on Linux and from what I can tell this is largely a distro and not Linux issue specifically.

Comment

Working...
        X