Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Announces The M3 / M3 Pro / M3 Max

Phoronix: Apple Announces The M3 / M3 Pro / M3 Max

Apple tonight announced the M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max as what they are promoting as the "most advanced chips" for a personal computer and leverage the TSMC 3nm process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly, after I learned Nvidia is working on their own ARM based desktop CPU, I find it hard to get excited about Apple's M processors.

Comment

Michael

Typos

"initially ne found" should be "be"

Not sure about this one... "for Mesa ocde" should be "code"??

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        Honestly, after I learned Nvidia is working on their own ARM based desktop CPU, I find it hard to get excited about Apple's M processors.
        Having used a few devices with Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 SoCs, i'm not all that enthusiastic. And these were locked devices with vendor-specific OSes tailored to support the SoCs. Performance was good but not phenomenal.

Only expecting "meh"-level performance out of Nvidia's mystery ARM desktop SoC until proven otherwise.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 30 October 2023, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Fantastic, I can't wait until even more ML projects get flooded with the 10 vocal morons who decided to buy Apple's walled-garden garbage to force those projects to supporting these.

I swear to god the ML/AI scene is so rotten there's people solely dedicated to making this crap work on nVidia and Apple chips, the very concept of AI working on chips not made by megalomaniac corporations seems to be anathema to ML framework people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
            Fantastic, I can't wait until even more ML projects get flooded with the 10 vocal morons who decided to buy Apple's walled-garden garbage to force those projects to supporting these.

I swear to god the ML/AI scene is so rotten there's people solely dedicated to making this crap work on nVidia and Apple chips, the very concept of AI working on chips not made by megalomaniac corporations seems to be anathema to ML framework people.
            You want ML and AI on "chips not made by megalomaniac corporations", you get those "not megalomaniac corporations" to pump in cold hard cash into developing AI/ML chips and funding and sponsoring development of these frameworks.

Otherwise don't whine about not being able to freeload off those "megalomanic corporations" funding.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              I am more excited about AMD arm chips, hope Samsung, Mediatek and others join in Desktop CPU wars which will be good for consumers, it is awesome that Linux on ARM has bright future.

Comment

Honestly, if ARM were standardized or vendors would take part in standardization initiatives (such as ServerReady), their hardware would be much more interesting. As things are right now, I can hardly care less about it.

I mean, what's the point of all that fanciness when you are only allowed to use it for web browsing?

Comment

I got a M1 Macbook Air 2 weeks ago, put Debian on it with the Asahi kernel, and it instantly became my daily driver (before that was using a librebooted T500 and a pinebook pro for the last 3+ years so quite the upgrade)

I can recommend it to anyone, the kernel is very stable I don't reboot it at all since its an arm device. Only problems are with certain USB-C docks have to plug them in and out like 5 times before the kernel recognizes it.

Other than that, its a great setup, bought it for 750 CAD (about 500 USD).

Theres ones going for like 250 USD with soft-bricked macOS, which despite Asahi documentation, shouldnt't be an issue because Asahi can be installed from Apple's EFI BIOS Recovery thing (it has internet support and a Bash terminal, and the Asahi installer is just a Bash script you download with curl)

Comment

Originally posted by nickbailuc View Post
                    (it has internet support and a Bash terminal, and the Asahi installer is just a Bash script you download with curl)
                    That is dang scary that an EFI recovery console has Internet support and a bash terminal! Yikes! Can't wait till CSVs start coming out about that!

Comment

Working...
                    X