Linux 6.5+ Is Great For The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 / AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Unfortunately Thinkpads are unusable for normal users.
    I am using Thinkpad T series for many years, they are the best classy business laptops for the money, regardless of the target audience (developers or users). True workhorses, very reliable, good thermal design, little or no hardware issues. Great Linux support out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by dremon_nl View Post
      I am using Thinkpad T series for many years, they are the best classy business laptops for the money, regardless of the target audience (developers or users). True workhorses, very reliable, good thermal design, little or no hardware issues. Great Linux support out of the box.
      Normal end users have lots of issues with it. Thinkpads are mostly good for developers when using keyboard schortcuts. You usually won't find them in operating departments (actual end users). People are unhappy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by danger View Post
        In what way are they unusable for normal users?
        - Ctrl and FN reversed > no, changing it in the BIOS doesn't solve the usability issue of having the wrong key label and with a different usability size
        - no numpads > no one who's not working in IT can properly work without a numpad, it's too much of a hassle for most operational people who input numbers, even if only in a written text/report
        - The very prominent buttons on top of the touchpad are constantly triggered while typing (they're in the way of your palms), initiating random clicks and removing parts of what you typed (thank you ctrl + z), I've never had that issue to such an extent on other laptops
        - The trackpoint is also triggering issues > yes, you can deactivate it, but most end users will not know that until told so
        - Even when trackpoint is deactivated, it's an absolute bother when typing

- subjectively, they just look old now with the legacy look, but that's a very soft and personal issue, hence distinct from points above

But for most operational (as opposed to IT users), it's a usability nightmare, and everywhere I've been that's the laptop that gets the more users to bitch at.

Comment

I have a Thinkpad L15 (latest generation) to my side, with its numpad, and its Ctrl key with the same size as its Fn key, it's so easy to check... Who knows why other things are said...

Comment

Working...
          X