No announcement yet.

Linux 6.5+ Is Great For The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 / AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5+ Is Great For The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 / AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U

Phoronix: Linux 6.5+ Is Great For The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 / AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U

As shown already the Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U works out well on Linux and is very speedy as shown with that prior benchmarking on Linux 6.3, but for those moving to Linux 6.5 or newer the performance and power efficiency is even better. Like for those moving to the newly-released Ubuntu 23.10 with Linux 6.5, there are some nice performance gains to find with this laptop -- similar to the experience seen with various AMD Ryzen desktops on the new kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typos on page 4

"there doesn't end up beibg much" should be "being"

"slightly lower frequenciesa nd overall" should be "frequencies and"

Comment

I've read that the Framework team is getting ready to ship the BIOS update that fixes weirdness experienced by AMD Linux users. The amount of Linux-side battery / power efficiency testing has been sparse, probably due to the BIOS issues. IIRC, some people are doing fine, while others are getting GPU-related issues and crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        I've read that the Framework team is getting ready to ship the BIOS update that fixes weirdness experienced by AMD Linux users. The amount of Linux-side battery / power efficiency testing has been sparse, probably due to the BIOS issues. IIRC, some people are doing fine, while others are getting GPU-related issues and crashes.
        I'm still waiting on the 3.0.3 BIOS to fix the AMD Linux graphics issues.... I've been told supposedly next week, albeit been hearing that for like the past two weeks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
          Michael

Typos on page 4

"there doesn't end up beibg much" should be "being"

"slightly lower frequenciesa nd overall" should be "frequencies and"
          Thanks, as always.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I'm still waiting on the 3.0.3 BIOS to fix the AMD Linux graphics issues.... I've been told supposedly next week, albeit been hearing that for like the past two weeks.
            Your perseverance is awesome. Really frustrating that the BIOS ETAs keep slipping. I didn't realize that was happening from the beginning. Looking forward to your thoughts and review once they clear the path for that.

Comment

Michael Are the graphics, suspend and resume on the laptop alright? ANy graphics corruption or hanging intermittently? How about hardware video decode on amdgpu? I had major issues with AMDGPU Reimbrandt on other laptops on Linux.

Comment

Oooh... 3 trackpad buttons FTW!!

Comment

Did you know Beijing's Lenovo ThinkPad P14s fits perfectly in your trash can right next to Huawei.
                  Last edited by ElectricPrism; 20 October 2023, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Michael I'm trying to reproduce these results since a long time, but phoronix-test-suite is broken for me: https://github.com/phoronix-test-sui...ite/issues/748

I've opened an issue on Github and sent you an email, I even tried the same exact distro you are using. I'm about to give up...
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X