Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Binutils Lands Support For ARCv3 32-bit & 64-bit Architecture

Phoronix: GNU Binutils Lands Support For ARCv3 32-bit & 64-bit Architecture

GNU Binutils has added support for the ARCv3 32-bit and 64-bit CPU architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Before the "hurr durr why not RISC-V" brigade shows up: ARC has been an established licensable-core vendor for decades and they move tens of millions of cores a year. Their cores have a pretty decent reputation; their public documentation has rather less good of one, but has improved a bit in the last few years (as has their willingness to get their dev infrastructure merged upstream.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
      Before the "hurr durr why not RISC-V" brigade shows up: ARC has been an established licensable-core vendor for decades and they move tens of millions of cores a year. Their cores have a pretty decent reputation; their public documentation has rather less good of one, but has improved a bit in the last few years (as has their willingness to get their dev infrastructure merged upstream.)
      Their isa was used because like risc-v you could enable and disabled instructions that you wanted. risc-v is free though and has way better software support. Making this isa is therefore pretty pointless, they should have just designed some risc-v cores.

Comment

If it exists, I'd like binutils to assemble for it.

Comment

Wondering why you would want to run an OS like Linux on an SSD controller? Maybe I don't understand embedded computing well enough to judge though?

Comment

Binutils is useful for way more than Linux or things that run in Linux. My uses of it, as one tiny example, have been firmware less than 600K in size for a microcontroller that doesn’t run any OS.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpjs View Post
              Binutils is useful for way more than Linux or things that run in Linux. My uses of it, as one tiny example, have been firmware less than 600K in size for a microcontroller that doesn’t run any OS.
              Gotcha thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X