Raspberry Pi 5 Benchmarks: Significantly Better Performance, Improved I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spykes View Post
    Now the Pi5 has a supported Mesa driver with Vulkan 1.2 support on day one and that's a big deal compared to other SBCs, and it seems its performances have improved a lot compared to the previous generation.
    The advances in graphics support on the Pi have primarily been because of how incredibly popular the series has been. It's mostly been a a marge reverse-engineering process rather than anything the manufacturer would assist with or even condone. Broadcom merely tolerates it as it allows them to sell a lot more chips. You can imagine how far all that effort could have gone with graphics where the exact architectural description is publicly available, where parts or even all of the drivers are open source and where you don't have to rely on reverse-engineering binary blobs.

Also, that step forward stops being impressive once you put it into context. It still can't do Nintendo 64, PS2, Dreamcast and PSP emulation without significant slowdowns. Meanwhile even the original 2015 model Nvidia Shield TV does all those flawlessly.

Comment

• Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Also, that step forward stops being impressive once you put it into context. It still can't do Nintendo 64, PS2, Dreamcast and PSP emulation without significant slowdowns. Meanwhile even the original 2015 model Nvidia Shield TV does all those flawlessly.
      I've seen a recent Recalbox build running on the Pi5 and it can do flawless N64, Dreamcast and PSP emulation sometimes at 2 or 4 times the original resolution.
      If you really want to put things into context, I should recall you the nivida Shield TV was a 300$ device with a 1TF GPU, well nothing like a cheap SBC.

The advances in graphics support on the Pi have primarily been because of how incredibly popular the series has been. It's mostly been a a marge reverse-engineering process rather than anything the manufacturer would assist with or even condone. Broadcom merely tolerates it as it allows them to sell a lot more chips. You can imagine how far all that effort could have gone with graphics where the exact architectural description is publicly available, where parts or even all of the drivers are open source and where you don't have to rely on reverse-engineering binary blobs.
      I never said all those advancements were coming from Broadcom's good will.
      Off course Pi success led it to a better community support, that's all matters to me now.
      Last edited by spykes; 05 October 2023, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=L_A_G;n1412413]

That's from AliExpress and you're going to get hit with import tariffs, taxes, etc. if you don't live in China and order internationally. Here is the Amazon.com link off their own website.

Well, if I import RPi5, it'll come with import tariffs and taxes too.

Comment

Working...
        X