Raspberry Pi 5 Benchmarks: Significantly Better Performance, Improved I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 5 Benchmarks: Significantly Better Performance, Improved I/O

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 5 Benchmarks: Significantly Better Performance, Improved I/O

After a difficult few years of global supply chain woes leading to limited available and heightened retail pricing on the Raspberry Pi single board computers, today there is finally an update to the family. Four years after the Raspberry Pi 4 shipped, today the Raspberry Pi 5 is launching with a much improved SoC leading to significant performance gains. Additional improvements with the Raspberry Pi 5 make this a very nice generational upgrade.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the point of better performance if you can't actually buy the damn thing? Hopefully they chose suppliers this time that don't screw them.

Comment

Uhhhhhh... Michael was this accidentally released before embargo? Even the official RPi blog doesn't have a post up yet

EDIT: nvm found it https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/int...aspberry-pi-5/

Comment

Aside from community and OS/Distro's out-of-the-box support RPI has no point at all. It's garbage.

Comment

Thanks for the review Michael. Can you comment on the noise produced by this cooler? Tiny high-RPM fans can be quite annoying. Or is the noise low enough to not be intrusive in an office environment for example?

Comment

Upgrade after 5 years, great.

Comment

Hopefully compute modules are on the way too. I would much rather have those.
              Great to see something new come out from them.
              Can we actually buy Raspberry 5's compared to 4's?

Comment

No NVME slot? Is this a fucking joke? 😂

Comment

I wonder how it performs compared to the rk3588 which is quite popular for many SBC's right now. (open-source drivers aside of course)
                  The rk3588 seems to sit somewhere between de Snapdragon 845 or 855.
                  Still the best performing SoC's seems to be the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 and Apple's M2.

I wish Qualcomm would license their top Snapdragon SoC's for SBC's as well.. these things normally run in smartphones with limited cooling and battery power.
                  Let's say you add a decent heatspreader/fan and power-supply to these things.. make 'm fly lol.

Comment

not gonna lie, the performance is better than what I was expecting from the next model. but the IO is still so bad it can't be used for any serious purpose, in my view. can we get some power consumption comparisons vs Pi 4, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                    X