Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    Looks like the CONFIG_CRYPTO_XTS is not set on that kernel​,
    Possibly not. Those numbers were done a while back (and not by me) so I can't really comment more on them.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
      I'm one of those "I want to build my own NAS". Is the RPi 5 something I should care about?
      I don't need a full fledged AMD APU with a mATX board and a big case and such, I'm "just" needing something I can put on my network with, let's say, 3 SATA HDDs in RAID-5 to back all my relevant data up to.

Does anyone know a good starting point for me?
      Once it is actually shipping I'm sure it won't be long until we see sata hats making use of the pcie connection. When that's the case the rpi5 could be a solid option. Generally I'd recommend against using external hard drives.
      Last edited by fallingcats; 28 September 2023, 01:14 PM.

Comment

This is how it looks with the M2 hat:
        Last edited by spykes; 28 September 2023, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
          How do they release a new Raspberry Pi in 2023 that still doesn't have hardware-decoding support for AV1 or even VP9?
          I'd say they know their customer audience and are astute at balancing costs. I help to run one of the more popular mediacentre distros (LibreELEC) and we collect device stats during update checks. These show 85% of our userbase has a Raspberry Pi of some kind. Within that 85%, RPi3B boards represent 50% of users, with RPi4B now a close second with around 40%. There are still a number of RPi2B and Zero/Zero2 and even original RPi(1) boards in daily use that comprise the remaining 10%. The board mix changes slowly over time. From this I assess that 60% of our users are happy with a board focussed on 1080p/H264 media (although RPi3B will handle 720p/HEVC software decoded) and they're not in a rush to upgrade to something better. Users seeking a new board will be influenced towards newer specs, and Phoronix users are likely in a category of more demanding users; but those groups are the minority. If you align what the majority seeks, and factor in that RPi5 will handle AV1/VP9 at 1080p (software decoded) with ease, the RPi5 specs meet the majority need. From past conversations, our reading of our own distro audience is aligned with the Pi developers own read (similar trends).

NB: I too would like the board to have VP9/AV1 hardware decode. I will be lobbying my contacts hard for v.next
          Last edited by chewitt; 28 September 2023, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Personally I don't really care about AV1, VP9, blah, blah, blah.... My RPIs run headless for the most part and video is the 'last' thing I'd be interested in. I have my true 'desktop' workstations for that. That said, the power and cooling requirements continue to push this board toward desktop type needs rather than embedded/electronic/small robotic applications of which I am more interested in!

That said, my interest is peaked with the new USB 3.0 power and data specs which look 'a lot' better this time around. Just maybe one won't need a powered USB hub to power large portable HDDs and SDDs and make full usage of the bandwidth available on both ports. I personally would like to boot from any size portable SSD, and also have another large USB3 attached data drive without the RPI chocking on that configuration. I notice all the reviews only talk about the booting and running apps from the SD card interface, where I am more interested in booting from a USB drive .

Can't wait to get my hands on an RPI 5 and start kicking its wheels so to speak! Maybe a couple for fun!

Last edited by rclark; 28 September 2023, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
              This is how it looks with the M2 hat:
              Hum, doesn't look like you can attach the active sink with that on top of the SoC...

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                That said, the power and cooling requirements continue to push this board toward desktop type needs rather than embedded/electronic/small robotic applications of which I am more interested in!
                I had a similar first reaction, but I think it's actually quite unfair. If you run this at something like 1.5 GHz you probably will have something both faster and cooler (and lower power) than the version 4.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                  Personally I don't really care about AV1, VP9, blah, blah, blah.... My RPIs run headless for the most part and video is the 'last' thing I'd be interested in. I have my true 'desktop' workstations for that. That said, the power and cooling requirements continue to push this board toward desktop type needs rather than embedded/electronic/small robotic applications of which I am more interested in!
                  It's not powerful enough for desktop. Competing boards already support 32-64 gigs of ram. At least some nuc boards and I think orange pi 5 comes with 32 gigs. USB should be usb4, not 3. There are also lots of 5 Gbps Ethernet devices. 802.11ax is a thing. 8k displays are becoming more common and also daisy chain 4k via USB-C.

Comment

Originally posted by chewitt View Post
                    From an RPi5 pre-Alpha board running old firmware (things have likely improved since):
                    Code:
                    [...]
                    # Algorithm | Key | Encryption | Decryption
                    aes-cbc 128b 879.4 MiB/s 1373.3 MiB/s
                    Wow, that is a lot. Does the RPi 5's CPU finally support AES extensions? Previous generations skipped those to save licensing costs..

/edit: the announcement didn't mention it, but the specs on the product page talk about a "64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, with cryptography extensions", so I guess that answers that.

The odroid that I bought specifically to handle disk encryption is slower, despite AES extensions:
                    Code:
                    # Algorithm | Key | Encryption | Decryption
                    aes-cbc 128b 655.8 MiB/s 958.9 MiB/s
                    Code:
                    # grep Features /proc/cpuinfo
                    Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 cpuid
                    Of course the odroid has been nothing but pain with respect to kernel and software support, so I'm looking forward to replacing it with a RPi5.
                    Last edited by rohcQaH; 28 September 2023, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by doragasu View Post

Hum, doesn't look like you can attach the active sink with that on top of the SoC...
                      They do have an official active heatsink and they made a statement that that heatsink is compatible with this hat.

Comment

Working...
                      X