AMD Prepares PMF Linux Driver For "Smart PC Solutions Builder"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anux View Post
    I don't see how this is a valid reason for a closed source solution. You can basically run any modern CPU without any cooler and it will run (slow like shit of course) because it will send cores to sleep that get too hot.
    I don't understand your point. The logic that allows you to run a CPU without a cooler is closed source firmware, and PMF is about extending the behaviour of that closed source firmware.

Originally posted by Anux View Post
    That part could be implemented in hardware (for example send cores that reach 100°C to sleep till they reach 80°C) and the rest could be done with open source firmware and who ever thinkers with it has in the worst case a slow CPU. Anyone else could just use the AMD provided firmware and get AMDs intended performance.

Not that simple unfortunately - the power management logic is too complex to be implemented practically in hardware, and shutting down using only thermals is not fast enough.

We used to have protection separate from power management but that stopped being sufficient several generations ago.
    Last edited by bridgman; 25 September 2023, 09:00 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Perhaps I missed it, but can I choose which profile, if any, is loaded?

Comment

Working...
      X