Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches The EPYC 8004 "Siena" 4th Gen EPYC Processors

Phoronix: AMD Launches The EPYC 8004 "Siena" 4th Gen EPYC Processors

Last November AMD introduced the first of the 4th Gen EPYC series with the EPYC 9004 "Genoa" processors and that was then complemented earlier this year by the July launch of the Genoa-X processors for sporting AMD 3D V-Cache to help technical computing workloads and as well launching Bergamo for the Zen 4C based processor designs that allow up to 128 cores / 256 threads per socket. While AMD has a very robust portfolio for the high-end server space with 4th Gen EPYC, today AMD is introducing the EPYC 8004 "Siena" processors for "intelligent edge" servers. Siena is a step below Genoa but still very capable offering and coming in at a lower price point while being geared more for maximizing power efficiency and opening up EPYC to more deployments outside of the data center.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's nice that AMD isn't showing signs of slowing down despite firmly being ahead of Intel in the server space. On the other hand, it's kinda like they're beating a dead horse except that horse has already decomposed. Not that I think AMD should slow down, but I'm worried if this means prices are going to skyrocket.

Comment

Michael

typos

"in mind as well ad for telco markets" should be "in mind as well as for telco markets"​

"All of the EPYC 8004 series is using" should be "All of the EPYC 8004 series are using"

Comment

This will be great for storage servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
          This will be great for storage servers.
          Its complete overkill for a storage server, mayhaps you mean a "data server".

Comment

I can't wait till the day we get the 64 core one down to 70 watts so it can be used in a beefy laptop. Laptop workstations are lagging behind tower ones considerably nowadays!

Comment

Interesting, curious what the idle total system power will be (for a basic system).

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                I can't wait till the day we get the 64 core one down to 70 watts so it can be used in a beefy laptop. Laptop workstations are lagging behind tower ones considerably nowadays!
                The lowest TDP of these is already 70w...what would you need with that much I/O in a laptop? Really, seriously curious what people do on the run with that much power Anyway, when that day happens the server grade CPUs will be have 256 cores and tower will still be faster than laptop due to the additional space for both components and to manage thermals.

Also there's never been a time that the fastest of fast high end laptops have matched an equivalently priced desktop, and I don't think the compaq portable counted as either a laptop or a workstation.

Comment

Stacked V-cache has proven to be quite the power saver. So the per-core reduction in L3 cache possibly hurts Zen4C's efficiency. Maybe a stacked V-cache could be a future here too.
                  Last edited by user556; 18 September 2023, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post

The lowest TDP of these is already 70w...what would you need with that much I/O in a laptop? Really, seriously curious what people do on the run with that much power Anyway, when that day happens the server grade CPUs will be have 256 cores and tower will still be faster than laptop due to the additional space for both components and to manage thermals.

Also there's never been a time that the fastest of fast high end laptops have matched an equivalently priced desktop, and I don't think the compaq portable counted as either a laptop or a workstation.
                    Back when Intel were stuck at 4 cores from Core 2 Quad all the way through to the i7 7700. I had an Iris Pro 4000 series laptop which got remarkably close to a desktop of the same generation... provided the desktop had the standard Intel cooler (with all the thermal throttling that entailed). It obviously lost badly to a well cooled 4790K or similar.

I've still got said laptop in a cupboard, although it gets hammered by even a basic Ryzen 1700, never mind the newer ones.

As for "what is done with that much power"? Work, relaxation. Does it matter? Questions like that should really be grouped into the "facepalm" category of innocent questions which age like milk - 640K should be enough for anyone? I'm sure the same question was asked when we hit 1GB of storage, or 1TB, or 1GB of RAM, or various GPUs; why would anyone need a 48GB GPU - well, I use 4 of 'em regularly...

Comment

Working...
                    X