Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ampere Computing Publishes Guide For Steam Play Games On Their AArch64 Server CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The GitHub page does not state "GeForce".
    Ahhh whoops, thanks, didn't realize I typed that.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post

It is a common practice in enterprise software. For example you are not allowed to publish benchmarks of most of the commercial databases like Oracle or DB2.

On other hand I'm not sure I would like to know a person or company which runs their production software with translation layer.

It would be impossible to debug - I has a pleasure to run terraform on Rosetta. It was not nice!
      It's a common EULA item regardless of the domain along with prohibitions on reverse engineering and several other quasi-legal or even anti-legal (purposely used term) clauses. Just because it's in a EULA doesn't mean the clause is enforceable. There's good reason to believe that if a company tried to enforce that through the US courts, it'd likely be ruled unenforceable. (I don't have time to dig up all the research on that topic, there's a lot, and there's a lot of rabbit holes. Best to just ask a competent copyright lawyer.)

Comment

I'd love to get my hands on one of those ampere dev kits to play around with

Comment

Is there any actual desktop hardware with these CPUs that someone may want to play on?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Is there any actual desktop hardware with these CPUs that someone may want to play on?
            Yes. But they come with Windows for those customers that are developing for "cloud native" applications (for their server class systems) who still have to exist in a Windows dominated (mostly Active Directory dominated) corporate environment. Very niche... although I can imagine Microsoft wanting to buy these things so they can finally build and roll out decent Windows for Arm products... while simultaneously hobbling all of them with either ad injection or requiring "cloud services" that aren't usable when they or the local ISPs screw the pooch. Been happening a lot lately, Office 365 services outages I mean.

Comment

Didn't expect to see this headline. I'm guessing this is aimed at the cloud gaming market?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                There are workstations but they are expensive: https://store.avantek.co.uk/ampere-a...tation-ad.html

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

No benchmarking means it ought to be slow.
                  Apple's Rosetta 2 is also kind of slow, 2/3 of the native performance. But the CPU has a huge raw power, so compared to the previous Intel CPUs, it's on par when running legacy x86 code, sometimes even faster. Don't forget I compare to the Intels in the previous Macs - Intel (and AMD) at the time of the release of M1 and later ones are much better then the old Intels.

Comment

Could this be a sign that Ampere may be preparing to release a more affordable workstation project, or perhaps an ATX motherboard with a price that would make it more accessible to a wider audience?

Comment

It is a common practice in enterprise software. For example you are not allowed to publish benchmarks of most of the commercial databases like Oracle or DB2.
                      I won't go into details but one of those commercial DBs has horrible performance for geodatabases compared with a third opensource database, so basically that example proves the point that "no benchmarking means it ought to be slow"

On other hand I'm not sure I would like to know a person or company which runs their production software with translation layer.

It would be impossible to debug - I has a pleasure to run terraform on Rosetta. It was not nice!

I will also not go into much detail, but there's a big software company I know that ships Wine as a wrapper so their windows server-side software can run under linux servers... in production, in plain site for their clients... and surprisingly this actually works fine most often than not.

Comment

Working...
                      X