Linux Microcode Loading For x86 32-bit CPUs Being Cleaned Up & Corrected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Microcode Loading For x86 32-bit CPUs Being Cleaned Up & Corrected

Phoronix: Linux Microcode Loading For x86 32-bit CPUs Being Cleaned Up & Corrected

Continuing to support x86 32-bit processors with the mainline Linux kernel continues to be a maintenance burden and uncovering ugly bits of code that are seldom touched. The latest work is on fixing up the 32-bit early microcode loading code so that it's more robust and actually correct...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I support dropping x86 32 bit. It’s going to 20 years soon that the last 32bit only core duo was sold. Nobody uses these cpus except half dead machines that in any case, do not require the very very very latest kernel to function properly…

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
      I support dropping x86 32 bit. It’s going to 20 years soon that the last 32bit only core duo was sold. Nobody uses these cpus except half dead machines that in any case, do not require the very very very latest kernel to function properly…
      Yeah. I can accept that 32-bit in general still needs to be supported for some time, but x86_32 really needs to die.

Comment

The "Intel Atom N270" netbook in article photo was literally released in 2008. Old, but still a little bit distance from 20 years.

Comment

Hot take: Linux should deprecate all legacy architectures, and focus on RISC-V going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            Hot take: Linux should deprecate all legacy architectures, and focus on RISC-V going forward.
            It's an open-source development philosophy. Doesn't do any harm if some ppl wanna maintain an old obscure architecture like m68k and the foundation considers it official. No reason to drop them.
            I just installed LibreCMC on a router running MIPS, idk if that version of MIPS is considered modern or old, but im glad the basic packages still run well on it.

I got a Galaxy S2 with Replicant on it, thats armel (not even armhf), its the old arm32 architecture.

Comment

No.

486s were dropped just roughly within the last year. The advantage of open source is not being thrown out like garbage so soon.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now is not yet the time to go around cutting everybody off, otherwise I hear there's a provider in Redmond looking for you.

Comment

FPGA for x86 the best is ao486 so 32 bit x86 .

Last produced x32 bit asic core that would be the intel quark. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quark

Yes is stop being made as standalone chip only in 2019.

The management engine processor in any new Intel processor you buy is also a Intel quark and it running Intel customized version of minix. Yes your intel x86_64 processor does not boot without a x86 32 bit processor doing the early startup work.

The talk about intel allowing OS to boot up on the 64 bit processor without a 32 bit real mode does not mean there is not a 32 bit real mode still in system start up just hidden way.

Comment

Intel Edison was advertised as 32b only. In reallity the Silvermont (SLM) architecture imposes severe penalties on certain instructions in 64b mode. SLM was used also in Baytrail NUC's. I have also seen laptops where 64b was disabled in the BIOS. All this < 10 years old. And how about your old VM's? You want to set them up new?

What's the rush?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    486s were dropped just roughly within the last year. The advantage of open source is not being thrown out like garbage so soon.
                    Netbsd has you covered, as long as you have enough RAM for the install process. I believe that's some 32MB right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X