AMD Ryzen 7 7840U Windows 11 vs. Linux CPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

61 different programs, and you come up with blender and python.

well, yeah, because blender was here 6 years ago

and anything from autodesk can still only dream of a similar pipeline. They waited to long to adapt to market trends and got left behind.

I wonder how long it took you to realise you couldnt pick the "gotos" like office or photoshop. Bet that was hard on your cognitive dissonance.

Meanwhile billions of people are using chrome/firefox/vivaldi/brave on linux.

If you have reasonably high end mobile device sporting Googles linux distribution or iOS you can dock it to turn it into a fairly decent workstation (the role windows used to fill), this benchmark shows that if you need some more heavy lifting and dont want to go for a full fledged linux desktop or mac studio, there isn't anything in this chip that hurts perf on Linux, so OK to buy an OSless laptop with it and install linux.

61 hardly used, outdated, overpriced products from Autodesk isnt going to save Windows from its current 20% YoY declines.
    Last edited by mSparks; 22 August 2023, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      The level is so low that I'd rather give you your little trophy. Congratulations on your ad verecundiam arguments

Comment

Originally posted by paulocoghi View Post

The level is so low that I'd rather give you your little trophy. Congratulations on your ad verecundiam arguments
        Linux fans are notorious for making it personal when they run out of arguments. So, you've posted literally nothing of essence. Is there anything factual you'd rather add? No? I thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

well, yeah, because blender was here 6 years ago

and anything from autodesk can still only dream of a similar pipeline. They waited to long to adapt to market trends and got left behind.

I wonder how long it took you to realise you couldnt pick the "gotos" like office or photoshop. Bet that was hard on your cognitive dissonance.

Meanwhile billions of people are using chrome/firefox/vivaldi/brave on linux.

If you have reasonably high end mobile device sporting Googles linux distribution or iOS you can dock it to turn it into a fairly decent workstation (the role windows used to fill), this benchmark shows that if you need some more heavy lifting and dont want to go for a full fledged linux desktop or mac studio, there isn't anything in this chip that hurts perf on Linux, so OK to buy an OSless laptop with it and install linux.

61 hardly used, outdated, overpriced products from Autodesk isnt going to save Windows from its current 20% YoY declines.

Why are you still talking about blender? Only blender and blender.

In Autosesk, apart from the graphical 3D Studio or Maja, there are 60 other programs covering various fields of engineering and project management in this field.

Engineering is not only a drawing, but also legal requirements for facilities, taking into account applicable standards, cost estimates, taking into account the business environment - e.g. what types of steel, concrete, composites are available in a given area, what ballasts, in what shapes and with what strength are available steel shapes and at what prices, etc.
          All these parameters and the budget determine the shape of the project.

And the software, e.g. Civil 3D, is to help you go through the difficult process.

And you're still talking about one. Blender, blender, blender.

Meanwhile billions...
          And you forget: 100% top500 works on linux.

Mate, we talking about GNU/Linux, on desktop, not phone, or anything else.​

Comment

Mate, we talking about GNU/Linux, on desktop, not phone, or anything else.​
            Yeah yeah, if you exclude the fact windows is failing or failed in every single mainstream computing market and sales have been falling 20% year on year for nearly a decade.

Windows still has some market share, honest to god.

lol.

The AMD 7840U is a low power mobile chip, not a desktop one.
            And you're still talking about one. Blender, blender, blender. ​
            Because blender and python plugins do everything those multiple expensive autodesk products do.
            And more.
            For free. (although the training and customised workflows aren't)

Pretty much every civil and electronic engineering company I have worked with has switched to a blender + plugin pipeline in the last 3 or 4 years, most of their staff then switched to mac to escape windows.

Im sure there are still some hold outs, but no one is starting out with autodesk anymore.
            Engineering is not only a drawing, but also legal requirements for facilities, taking into account applicable standards, cost estimates, taking into account the business environment - e.g. what types of steel, concrete, composites are available in a given area, what ballasts, in what shapes and with what strength are available steel shapes and at what prices, etc.
            All these parameters and the budget determine the shape of the project.
            which they plugin their existing excel worksheets for that into blender.
            what's your point?
            And what does it have to do with mobile CPU chips like the 7840U?​
            Last edited by mSparks; 22 August 2023, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Pretty much every civil and electronic engineering company I have worked with has switched to a blender + plugin pipeline in the last 3 or 4 years,
              ?​
              Wow, now you not only design infrastructure, building etc. in blender, but electronic too!!

You are funny guy. I've never met a liar like you.

Then tell us what blender plug-ins contain electronic components, allow for simulation and analysis of electronic circuits, have modules for automatic PCB design support with EMI consideration - that is, such an industry standard. I'm waiting.

Because there are a lot programs for Windows. Almost nothing form Mac.

And yes, again there will be companies and programs that have been on the market for several dozen years like Altium Designer , NI Multisim with NI Ultiboard, Allegro Platform, OrCAD etc.

Last edited by HEL88; 22 August 2023, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Wow, now you not only design infrastructure, building etc. in blender, but electronic too!!
                I dont design any infrastructure, companies I work with do tho, healthcare infrastructure, devices and medicines from Chicago to Jakarta.

but yes, thats the way it goes,
                e.g. blenderbim

KiCad to Blender

They are a couple of the more popular ones, the mainstay of all of them is still generally MS Excel tho which is why they call me in... sadly. I cant switch most of them to libreoffice until they sort the random number generator out.
                Although most of the German government machines are all Linux now, as are several other CEE countries. EU law requires submissions and procurement in open standards. (yes, the EU has basically made buying new windows machines and software like autodesk a crime... lol.)

How much would the equivalent cost from autodesk and why should anyone spend the money on it rather than a fully customised pipeline specific to their needs?

And again, why would you run any of them on a mobile chip like the 7840U (besides wanting to be able to open them on the go)
                Last edited by mSparks; 22 August 2023, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  As i have said in the past, I care more about stability than raw performance and this foes for most things, from computers to cars to power tools.

I used to do consulting for video work and one of my favorite tests for testing hardware and software was this long, complex, 4k encode, with lots of filters, both GPU and CPU powered and a couple of audio tracks; this project was done using Shotcut. This specific encode would take over 9 hours if done with no GPU acceleration on a Ryzen 1600, with GPU acceleration of some of the filters, it would drop to about 5.5 hours. The performance different between Windows 10 and Ubuntu was negligible.

What mattered was stability, with projects of this type, I found both Windows and Ubuntu would sometimes either lock up, Shotcut would crash outright or the system would reboot. I looked at all the usual suspects, ram, power supply, cooling, etc, but the thing was it was never consistent, sometimes the projects would finish fine and other times i would lose hours worth of work.

I finally bought a cheap 4790 based Xeon and a cheap Gigabyte board, with the same ram, power supply and drives, the system was about 20% slower in CPU only tasks but is was rock solid stable. Swapping out the GTX960 for a cheap Fermi based Quadro and I could finish jobs like this one after the other, processing video for days completely reliably.

Fast forward to today, and as I mentioned in March i lost my job. As a way of keeping myself busy and improving my skill set, I started a couple of podcasts, one politically themed and one sports themed and I have been recording and editing audio with Audacity. I have also put up a few website related to these podcasts that feature JS powered AI, this is meant more as a learning exercise for myself and to show employers some of the skills i bring to the table.

If you want to get the real measure of a distro, you need to use it for real work, stuff that takes hours, taxes the system and is critical, stuff were you can't afford to lose data.

I have found that most of the distros available are not reliable, for one reason or another. some of the issues that i have encountered are:

1) Audacity failing to launch if installed via package manager even though the appimage works fine.

2) Audacity stops working after a while, with no ability to save your work for extended periods of time, then if you wait long enough it comes back to life and you can save your recording. This one is very nerve-racking

3) Pluma just stops working. I use Pluma for HTML, CSS, JS and Python, and sometimes it will just stop accepting inputs, such as the return key or backspace and it will stop allowing you to save your work.

4) I use a laptop that has a 17" 1600x900 monitor and I hook it up to a 50" 1080P TV that i use as a monitor. Windows 10 handles this setup properly and without a hiccup, regardless of whether I mirror the displays, or extend them and set one or the other as the primary and it also handles it properly when i shut down the TV to pull the HDMI out and switch to using just the laptop monitor.

I have tried Kubuntu, Ubuntu Cinnamon, Ubuntu, PoP OS, Mint Mate, Mint Proper, Mint Debian, Fedora Workstation, Fedora Mate, Fedora KDE, Fedora Cinnamon, PC Linux OS, MX Linux (both editions), Manjaro (all of them), every variant of Gecko Linux (which I normally like), every variant of Spiral Linux, if you name a distro, I tried it, none of them can properly handle this monitor setup.

The only one that handles it properly is the latest edition of Ubuntu Mate, this wasn't the case before, it used to have problems as well, but this latest editions based on Lunar Lobster is the only one that gives me the Windows 10 experience of dependability.

Which brings me to the point, it doesn't matter if Linux is a bit faster in this benchmark or that one. What matter is can i rely on it, does it behave as expected, can i count on it to finish a big project? If the answer is No, then it does me no good.
                  Hello, I have a pretty low spec system (Intel core i5 5200u, 18 gb of ram and HD 5500). I've heard that tf2 (and more) run better, if so, how much of a % increase will that be? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                  X