Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarFive VisionFive 2 Quad-Core RISC-V Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: StarFive VisionFive 2 Quad-Core RISC-V Performance Benchmarks

SiFive's HiFive Unmatched development board was interesting when it began shipping in 2021 with 16GB of RAM and four U74-MC RISC-V cores along with one S7 core. But pricing was rather steep at $665 USD. Fast forward two years, the StarFive VisionFive 2 has begun to enjoy wide availability and for $100+ this RISC-V development board features a quad-core RISC-V processor via the StarFive JH7110 SoC with integrated GPU, up to 8GB of RAM, HDMI 2.0 output, dual Gigabit Ethernet, dual USB 3.0 ports, and more for around $100 USD. Here are some benchmarks of this most interesting RISC-V single board computer in the ~$100 space to be released yet.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to see the output of
    Code:
    cryptsetup benchmark
    on the 6.5-rc5 kernel.
    Older kernels are slow;

Comment

That's pretty meaningless, the kernel used is very old and it should be compared to something similar like a pi 3b

Comment

Weirds me out a little that Michael apparently thinks any amount of nebulous software optimization will close the gap between a 2-wide in-order core and an aggressive 3-wide OoO uarch.

Comment

That's a bit disappointing. I expected it to be on par with the rpi 4. I doubt I'll get one for fun. But thanks for the benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
            Weirds me out a little that Michael apparently thinks any amount of nebulous software optimization will close the gap between a 2-wide in-order core and an aggressive 3-wide OoO uarch.
            and no vector extension, ...

Comment

Wow. Pitiful performance. Hopefully they're better in 3-5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
                That's pretty meaningless, the kernel used is very old and it should be compared to something similar like a pi 3b
                That's their official downstream kernel at the moment... They are carrying the StarFive patches.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
                  I never said I expect the VisionFive 2 to "close the gap"... Certainly there will be improvements and perhaps in some extreme cases may come close to closing the gap in some areas where comparing generic vs. very tuned AArch64 code paths right now, but no - I don't expect it to "close the gap" overall by any mans...
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What about non cpu/gpu benchmarks?
                    For board like this people as well think about NAS or firewall usages, means (disk)I/O or Network could be interesting as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X