No announcement yet.

StarFive VisionFive 2 Quad-Core RISC-V Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I now wonder if a QEMU port of this SoC would bench better.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
      I'd like to see the output of
      Code:
      cryptsetup benchmark
      on the 6.5-rc5 kernel.
      Older kernels are slow;
      Here's rc1 without hw crypto. Note that for some reason the CPU only clocks at 1GHz with that kernel, so the results are even slower:

Code:
      [vf2:~] $ uname -a
      Linux vf2 6.5.0-rc1 #1-NixOS SMP Tue Jan  1 00:00:00 UTC 1980 riscv64 GNU/Linux
      [vf2:~] $ cryptsetup benchmark
      # Tests are approximate using memory only (no storage IO).
      PBKDF2-sha1        82331 iterations per second for 256-bit key
      PBKDF2-sha256     107436 iterations per second for 256-bit key
      PBKDF2-sha512     105025 iterations per second for 256-bit key
      PBKDF2-ripemd160   72656 iterations per second for 256-bit key
      PBKDF2-whirlpool   41795 iterations per second for 256-bit key
      argon2i       4 iterations, 166546 memory, 4 parallel threads (CPUs) for 256-bit key (requested 2000 ms time)
      argon2id      4 iterations, 167611 memory, 4 parallel threads (CPUs) for 256-bit key (requested 2000 ms time)
      #     Algorithm |       Key |      Encryption |      Decryption
              aes-cbc        128b        18.0 MiB/s        21.2 MiB/s                        serpent-cbc        128b        13.4 MiB/s        13.6 MiB/s
          twofish-cbc        128b        19.5 MiB/s        22.5 MiB/s                            aes-cbc        256b        14.5 MiB/s        16.6 MiB/s
          serpent-cbc        256b        13.4 MiB/s        13.7 MiB/s
          twofish-cbc        256b        19.5 MiB/s        22.5 MiB/s
              aes-xts        256b        21.0 MiB/s        21.3 MiB/s
          serpent-xts        256b        13.8 MiB/s        13.8 MiB/s
          twofish-xts        256b        22.9 MiB/s        22.5 MiB/s
              aes-xts        512b        16.3 MiB/s        16.6 MiB/s
          serpent-xts        512b        13.8 MiB/s        13.9 MiB/s
          twofish-xts        512b        22.9 MiB/s        22.5 MiB/s​

Comment

The recent revision of the SiFive U74-MC processors in the JH7110 supports Zba and Zbb extensions, which seems to have been disabled in the compiler flags... Also it seems that CPU tuning is absent?

Also it would be worth mentioning that U74 has no vector unit, so obviously anything that sports NEON optimisations on the Armv8 side is going to be way faster. No amount of RISC-V support improvement in the software ecosystem will solve that.

Comment

The price interests me but the lack of storage options would be my biggest nitpick. I wouldn't expect an NVME slot but even an EMMC spot would have been nice. As pricey as the Unmatched was I regret not getting one as it was perfect for me from a feature standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
            The price interests me but the lack of storage options would be my biggest nitpick. I wouldn't expect an NVME slot but even an EMMC spot would have been nice. As pricey as the Unmatched was I regret not getting one as it was perfect for me from a feature standpoint.
            There is an NVMe slot. You can see it on the back side picture.

Comment

Wow, I'm just loving how that Orange Pi 5 even monsters the Raspberry Pi 400. I'm definitely picking up the Pro version, at some point.

Comment

Its nice ,but long way to go . Obviously, the more ISA/arch competition is good,and they should be encouraged for walking new grounds .
                On the other hand,that Orange Pi 5 sounds sweet !

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
                  What? VF2 has nvme 2240 slot.

Comment

Michael, When comparing crypto speed, please include AES. It's the most commonly used symmetric crypto in use today. It's also the most commonly accelerated crypto and that makes it an important feature of a CPU.

I'm surprised at how well the Pi4 did in these tests.

Looking back at the coverage of this chip shows that the maker compares the U74 to be comparable with the A55. That would make the Pi3B a better comparison or maybe an Odroid C4?
                    Last edited by willmore; 16 August 2023, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
                      That's pretty meaningless, the kernel used is very old and it should be compared to something similar like a pi 3b
                      The Orange Pi 5 also uses 5.15, the CPU is just that much faster.

Anyways, I have a Orange Pi 5 and its pretty fast, but the provided images are awful. Armbian is decent though. There is also a project to get EFI working on it, which would enable it to boot most distributions, provided the kernel supports the hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X