Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.5-rc4 Fixes Support For Reporting Negative Temperatures On AMD Industrial CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5-rc4 Fixes Support For Reporting Negative Temperatures On AMD Industrial CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 6.5-rc4 Fixes Support For Reporting Negative Temperatures On AMD Industrial CPUs

Going back to May I wrote about AMD's "k10temp" Linux temperature driver being updated to handle negative temperature readings and now finally merged on Friday as a fix ahead of Linux 6.5-rc4 is a change to that open-source driver for properly displaying negative temperatures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure why any temperature is not supported as long as the hardware is designed to give an accurate reading. Seems like someone was lazy.

Comment

I fail to understand why on earth specific temperatures "need support in software" before they can be reported. Or why the reporting of temperatures needs to be bound to the operating limits of the processor. If the sensor senses -200°C it should report it the same way as I would expect it to report temperatures beyond +150°C up to the limits of the sensor - or whatever is technically possible.

The idea of "I'm not reporting that you are running 15° too hot because that is outside the specs of the processor" is not just lazy - it's plain bullshit.

Comment

Working...
      X