AMD Unveils The Ryzen 9 7945HX3D For Laptops With 3D V-Cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    Snaipersky I am pretty sure after a while you will be able to find a laptop with a 7945HX3D, or at least an R7 variant coupled with at least the later RTX series.

I know there is a lot of banter back and forth about AMD GPU's cause of their Linux support but I would not completely exclude nvidia. I will eventually go for a purely AMD laptop, all things considered. It's going to be a while though.
    My thoughts were more for the mini PC / "desktop console" space, where dgpus are scarce, and suboptimal from an efficiency standpoint. Integrated solutions typically require less power and less space in a given volume, and this helps to keep them cool & quiet. Plus, switchable GPUs usually end up being finicky in terms of manual intervention in my experience, and for a "console-ish" experience, the less of that the better.

Comment

Snaipersky Ok, gotcha. Yes if you want cool and quiet I agree with you 100% in that case. Laptops can get hella loud too.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Truth! I've had more weird issues with this all AMD Strix G15 than I've ever had with Optimus Nvidia + Intel models. Do RTC alarms work on your G513? E.g., does this actually wake back up for you after going into suspend?

Code:
        sudo rtcwake --seconds 30 -m mem
        RTC alarms don't seem to work at all on mine, which I discovered after too much troubleshooting and initially assuming it was a distro issue. This is actually a huge pain in the ass for me, since it only supports modern standby (s0ix) and not S3, so it loses at least 1% battery per hour while suspended. The easy solution is usually to use sleep-then-hibernate with your desired transition time in sleep.conf. However, this machine never wakes up from suspend to put itself into hibernate. When you manually wake it up by doing something like opening the lid, then it will put itself into hibernate. Useless .
        I don't know, never used sleep. I'll give it a test.

I've never had a laptop reliably suspend for me in Linux, and I do not wish for a repeat of the time my laptop decided to wake up in my rucksack and slowly cook itself to death. At least it was going home from an interview, rather than going to the interview... but as a result, I always use a full shutdown.

Comment

Working...
        X