The Performance Impact Of Genoa-X's 3D V-Cache With The AMD EPYC 9684X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Impact Of Genoa-X's 3D V-Cache With The AMD EPYC 9684X

Phoronix: The Performance Impact Of Genoa-X's 3D V-Cache With The AMD EPYC 9684X

Last week in the AMD EPYC 9684X review were many benchmarks looking at how this flagship Genoa-X processor compares to various AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon processors. The EPYC 9684X delivers terrific generational uplift compared to Milan-X, offers significant advantages over the EPYC 9004 Genoa processors thanks to the 1.1GB of L3 cache per CPU that proves very beneficial in HPC and AI workloads, and the 96-core / AVX-512 / 3D V-Cache combination far surpassed the Intel performance in the vast majority of benchmarks. As some follow-up benchmarks, today is looking precisely at the performance difference caused by the 3D V-Cache presence by looking at the EPYC 9684X performance when the 3D V-Cache feature was enabled and then the tests repeated when disabled.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have you tried running games on it? Since the 3D Cache also helps games a lot. Even if games usually performe worse on server grade CPUs. It would be super interesting.

Comment

they should start using this in apu in laptops to incrise the gaming in their igpu laptops gaming

Comment

Michael

Typos

Page 2

"AMD #D V-Cache with Genoa-X is" should be "AMD 3D V-Cache with Genoa-X is"

Comment

Wow... the V-cache is expensive but it sure is worth the money. I'm a little surprised the power consumption hardly changed.

Comment

The most shocking to me is how their BIOS still has that 90s look, it wouldn't be so bad to give it a slightly more modern design and mouse support.

Comment

12% on average isn't terrible but given the clockspeed limits that 3D V-cache brings, it's also a clear sign that this is still a niche product and the non-vcache parts are not going away anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                The most shocking to me is how their BIOS still has that 90s look, it wouldn't be so bad to give it a slightly more modern design and mouse support.
                no, this is typical server grade bios. Designed to be usable over serial and low speed ipmi connections.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

no, this is typical server grade bios. Designed to be usable over serial and low speed ipmi connections.
                  Ooooh I indeed did not consider that, thank you!
                  Would it be possible to have 2 modes? Or is that too complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Ooooh I indeed did not consider that, thank you!
                    Would it be possible to have 2 modes? Or is that too complicated?
                    No one goes into a BIOS on a server like this. Most configuration is done by the integrator, or via redfish or some other tool. In the BIOS by hand is either a tiny shop or a desperate admin trying to understand whats failing or different.

Fancy UIs add potential attack vectors or bugs or issues. I want uptime and consistency, not a UI that can use a mouse which will never be attached.

Edit: Dual-socket workstations might have fancy BIOS, but not server boards. That would be threadripper. I doubt you'll ever see an epyc serverboard with anything other than 80x25 BIOS.
                    Last edited by panikal; 24 July 2023, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X