Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Raptor Lake HX, System76 Adder WS 3 Added To Coreboot

Phoronix: Intel Raptor Lake HX, System76 Adder WS 3 Added To Coreboot

System76 has contributed Intel Core Raptor Lake HX support to Coreboot with some minor additions over the existing Raptor Lake "RPL" code as well as adding their new Adder WS 3 laptop to upstream Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This would be really nice if System76 would remove the nvidia card and reduce the price a corresponding amount.

Comment

Out of curiosity, I went to their website and maxed out the specs for one of the Adder WS laptops, it came out to $3466, that's without tax or any accessories.

I went to HP to configure a similar laptop but found that HP Omen line of laptops max out at one 2tb nvme, whereas the Adder can have two 4tb nvme and 64gb ram.

I downgraded the Adder to one 2th nvme and 32gb ram, same as the Omen; they both had an i9-13900HX.

The Adder cost $2467 and the HP cost $2639.99.

Here's the thing though, while they both have a 17.3" monitor, the Adder has a 1080p resolution, 144 Hz and the HP has a 2.5k resolution, 165 Hz.

Further the Adder was configured with the fastest graphics available for it, a RTX 4070 but the HP was configured with the slowest graphics available for it, a RTX 4080 12gb.

So for an extra $173 you get a faster gpu and a much better monitor and the HP comes with a fully licensed Win 11 install and 1 year of Office 365, and since this is a Linux forum, for people like me it's easy to set up a Win 11 / Linux dual boot or if you absolutely must you can easily wipe the Win 11 install and put your favorite distro on.

As for warranty, i have HP's that ran for years, my current laptop is about 5 years old and is barely showing its age.

I think these guys really need to rethink their market positioning if they hope to compete effectively.
      Last edited by sophisticles; 17 July 2023, 06:17 PM.

Comment

And 1080p in 2023, excellent

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          Out of curiosity, I went to their website and maxed out the specs for one of the Adder WS laptops, it came out to $3466, that's without tax or any accessories.

I went to HP to configure a similar laptop but found that HP Omen line of laptops max out at one 2tb nvme, whereas the Adder can have two 4tb nvme and 64gb ram.

I downgraded the Adder to one 2th nvme and 32gb ram, same as the Omen; they both had an i9-13900HX.

The Adder cost $2467 and the HP cost $2639.99.

Here's the thing though, while they both have a 17.3" monitor, the Adder has a 1080p resolution, 144 Hz and the HP has a 2.5k resolution, 165 Hz.

Further the Adder was configured with the fastest graphics available for it, a RTX 4070 but the HP was configured with the slowest graphics available for it, a RTX 4080 12gb.

So for and extra $173 you get a faster gpu and a much better monitor and the HP comes with a fully licensed Win 11 install and 1 year of Office 365, and since this is a Linux forum, for people like me it's easy to set up a Win 11 / Linux dual boot or if you absolutely must you can easily wipe the Win 11 install and put your favorite distro on.

As for warranty, i have HP's that ran for years, my current laptop is about 5 years old and is barely showing its age.

I think these guys really need to rethink their market positioning if they hope to compete effectively.
          Does this HP notebook support coreboot? Has HP already contributed to the coreboot code?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

If you are running a 2.5K display at a scale ratio that makes it resemble a 1080p, congratulations, they successfully duped into paying for something you don't need.

That sharper text is not going to make people any more productive than they already are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

If you are running a 2.5K display at a scale ratio that makes it resemble a 1080p, congratulations, they successfully duped into paying for something you don't need.

That sharper text is not going to make people any more productive than they already are.
              By your logic there's no need for a 4k, 5k, 6k or 8k monitor.

The greater resolution will definitely come in handy when watching video, editing video, gaming.

Your statement sounds like someone trying to justify buying lower spec hardware.

Comment

Count me in as somebody who still wants DPIs in the 96-120 range.

Too much Linux software that doesn't scale.

Comment

Working...
                X