Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.5 Adds In Some Next-Gen CPU Enablement For AMD PMF (Zen 5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5 Adds In Some Next-Gen CPU Enablement For AMD PMF (Zen 5)

Phoronix: Linux 6.5 Adds In Some Next-Gen CPU Enablement For AMD PMF (Zen 5)

Last week we began seeing AMD engineers post Linux patches for "Family 26" (1Ah) CPU enablement that is more than likely for Zen 5 processors. This week the AMD "1Ah" work has carried forward with new patches having been merged into the Linux 6.5 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Perhaps a silly question, but what happens if you run with an OS that doesn't have support for the processor? Does it have some kind of compatibility shim or does it just refuse to work? I would THINK it would just work kinda like how all processors since the Pentium 2 have been i686 but I don't know!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Perhaps a silly question, but what happens if you run with an OS that doesn't have support for the processor? Does it have some kind of compatibility shim or does it just refuse to work? I would THINK it would just work kinda like how all processors since the Pentium 2 have been i686 but I don't know!
      It all depends on the processor... In the old days I recall some AMD Phenom incidents where it would seg fault or similar at boot before support landed. While in other cases x86_64 CPU tends to just work but may be missing sensor / ower / performance / other feature extras without the given support. All really comes down to the CPU and its new features and/or quirks/workarounds that need to be handled. Usually those quirks/workarounds needed aren't clear until post-launch with production hardware.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Arm CPUs are shit in this regard and are usually supported years after release

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          You should read the article, this is support for PMF, not the processor itself. The processor doesn't need drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

You should read the article, this is support for PMF, not the processor itself. The processor doesn't need drivers.
            To be 100% honest I don't know what PMF is.

Comment

Working...
            X