AMD's Compressonator 4.4 Adds AVX-512 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Same process node and no microarchitecture changes.
    AMD and Intel had efficiency gaines from such things in the past, yes its still 10nm+++++++ but probably with one + more else the higher frequency and more efficient multithread wouldn't be possible. And I doubt it's a 1:1 13th gen relabeled, the GPU dies are rumored to come from TSMC, can't belive that's possible with no adjustment at all.

If anything, that'll hurt efficiency.
    But in the case of lower cTDP it could improve things.

Edit: disabling turbo boost saves TDP and makes those Intels much more efficient and it shouldn't hurt much on multithreaded workloads. Or you can specify the frequency range with cpupower to just omit the 3 highest boost clocks.
    Last edited by Anux; 13 July 2023, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Anux coder Thanks both of you for sharing your perspectives. While DDR4 might offer less memory bandwith, the benchmarks I care about showed no significant difference between DDR4 and DDR5, so that in my eyes it is not worth the extra investment in new RAM. Selling this RAM would also not yield much at the moment and probably provides me more value in using it. I would also tune my RAM with tighter timings for better latency to get the most out of it. I considered going AM4 as I also still have a Crosshair VI Hero around, but a failed BIOS flash which even USB Flashback could not resolve, would mean yet another investment into an AM4 board (or someone that could replace the BIOS chip). New B550 boards cost not much less than the Z690 board which I ordered yesterday and provide less features. I think I might settle for the 14600K/KF (8 big and 8 little cores) or the 14700K/KF (8 big and 12 little cores) and will skip the DDR5 platforms alltogether. Depending on their price tag, I might also consider the 13600K/KF and 13700K/KF if they get a decent price cut. At least that was my conclusion so far. I was tempted to go the AM5 route, too - but the high upfront costs today with the worse multi-threading performance and platform stability turned me off. The 7950X costs 570 EUR while I expect the 14700K to land near 450 EUR for similar multi-thread performance (36300 points in Cinebench R23 in recent leaks).

There are downsides/risks with going team blue as well, hence the minimal investment/maximize value with things I already own approach.

Comment

Crosshair VI Hero, such an expensive board and no dual bios? Have you already been out of guarantee when it happened? Ten years ago I burned my fingers with ASUS hardware and try to avoid them since.

But you can have bad luck with any manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Edit: disabling turbo boost saves TDP and makes those Intels much more efficient and it shouldn't hurt much on multithreaded workloads. Or you can specify the frequency range with cpupower to just omit the 3 highest boost clocks.
          Perhaps you didn't look at the bottom half of this graph. I know it's Alder Lake, but should still be fairly applicable to Gen 13 and 14:
          Or, you can just look here at what happens to i9-13900K performance, as you dial back the cTDP (hint: it's not pretty): Summary:
          • 85% performance at 142 W
          • 82% performance at 125 W
          • 72% performance at 88 W
          • 63% performance at 65 W
          • 49% performance at 45 W
          Last edited by coder; 13 July 2023, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Perhaps you didn't look at the bottom half of this graph.
            Misunderstanding, I didn't claim it will be better in efficiency than Ryzen. ms178 will probably buy an Intel and I just gave another way to influence max power in a more flexible way.
            The cTDP claim was just hypothetical, we will know when benchmarks come.

As long as you don't run those CPUs under max load all the time, the idle will be much more important. And the TDP will be mostly relevant for fan noise.

Comment

Working...
            X