AMD CPU Use Among Linux Gamers Approaching 70% Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brananarchy View Post
    I'm one of those Linux AMD converts. I replaced my ancient Westmere & GTX 970 system (I forget the GPU it had originally) with a fancy new Ryzen 7700X & RX 7900 XTX.

Gaming at 4K on Linux has been beautiful (Besides Quake II RTX, that lags at 4k but can get 60FPS+ at 1080), although I've hit a couple bugs that required kernel and Mesa bumps.

My complaints are not AMD-specific and are just Linux gaming issues - specifically VRR and HDR over HDMI 2.1 (and no, I won't replace my TV with a monitor that supports display port. I like my couch)

AMD can not fix the HDMI2.1 problem in software because they by law do not allow it.

buy you can bypass the problem in hardware with such a HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 1.4 ​adapter cable.

by this the driver/hardware who does HDMI2.1 can stay closed and on your computer you only use DisplayPort what can be fully opensource.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by creative View Post
      WannaBeOCer
      Glad you have had good luck. In all honesty 13th gen intel concerning multi-threaded workloads is something AMD needs to keep up with better.
      to adress this there is a Zen4+Zen4c hybrid chip coming.

a die with an 8 core zen4+ stagged 3D cache and a 16 core zen4c die

this cpu will have total 24 cores...

i don't know how they name it maybe ryzen 7990X3D 8990X3D

Comment

• qarium Holy cow! I have not kept up with Moores Law Is Dead for months so I am a bit out of the loop. I really wonder what their R7 is going to be like then. Have really liked my vanilla R7 5800X.

If what you said is true it's going to be one hell of a refresh, I'd hazard to bet if that's the case it's not a refresh and is going to 8000 or 9000 series the way AMD is scheming things. They may even go with something more alphanumeric given the Z1, who knows?

At any rate it's all conjecture for now and I'm only surmising.

I have not kept up with any roadmaps on AMD's chips lately.

None the less it may be a long time before I hop off this X570 kit.
        Last edited by creative; 14 July 2023, 12:27 PM.

Comment

qarium Holy cow! I have not kept up with Moores Law Is Dead for months so I am a bit out of the loop. I really wonder what their R7 is going to be like then. Have really liked my vanilla R7 5800X.
          If what you said is true it's going to be one hell of a refresh, I'd hazard to bet if that's the case it's not a refresh and is going to 8000 or 9000 series the way AMD is scheming things. They may even go with something more alphanumeric given the Z1, who knows?
          At any rate it's all conjecture for now and I'm only surmising.
          I have not kept up with any roadmaps on AMD's chips lately.
          None the less it may be a long time before I hop off this X570 kit.
          "If what you said is true it's going to be one hell of a refresh"

for most people this is completely irrelevant. because single-core performance stay the same and gaming performance stay the same.

a 'ZEN4+ZEN4c hybrid 'CPU only increase the multicore performance. because the second chip die goes from 8core to 16core at the same size of the die. core count goes form 16 to 24 cores. Zen4c is similar concept to Intels E-cores...

but there is main difference to intel... Zen4C has AVX512 and also zen4C has hyperthreading there is a zen4c version without hyperthreading but its for the cloud.

just remember the 2990WX and 2970WX cpus on the sp3 threadripper platform from the 2950X cpus...

this is similar means maybe for normal people not interesting because there is the same effect 2990WX was 32core cpu but 8% lower singlecore performance this means for most people a 2950X was better

they maybe do not even release it as ryzen cpus instead as 7990WX threadripper cpu for the AM5 platform.

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

"If what you said is true it's going to be one hell of a refresh"

for most people this is completely irrelevant. because single-core performance stay the same and gaming performance stay the same.

a 'ZEN4+ZEN4c hybrid 'CPU only increase the multicore performance. because the second chip die goes from 8core to 16core at the same size of the die. core count goes form 16 to 24 cores. Zen4c is similar concept to Intels E-cores...

but there is main difference to intel... Zen4C has AVX512 and also zen4C has hyperthreading there is a zen4c version without hyperthreading but its for the cloud.

just remember the 2990WX and 2970WX cpus on the sp3 threadripper platform from the 2950X cpus...

this is similar means maybe for normal people not interesting because there is the same effect 2990WX was 32core cpu but 8% lower singlecore performance this means for most people a 2950X was better

they maybe do not even release it as ryzen cpus instead as 7990WX threadripper cpu for the AM5 platform.
            That's what also came to mind, Threadripper. Yeah came across something about Zen4c here and there but didn't go reading too far into it. It seemed kind of far away.
            Last edited by creative; 16 July 2023, 05:00 PM.

Comment

That's what also came to mind, Threadripper. Yeah came across something about Zen4c here and there but didn't go reading too far into it. It seemed kind of far away.
              you really should read about it because ZEN4c is really awesome they did manage to double the core count with nearly the double multicore performance on nearly the same chip space. this means it is really a big jump in performance.

and if you are on linux and do multicore tasks like compiling stuff or host instances in the cloud this ZEN4c really hits the wall.

read this article: https://www.semianalysis.com/p/zen-4...-to-hyperscale

ZEN4c could even be the death of hyperthreading because their 128core cpu now comes in a version without hyperthreading SMT...

all the big-iron cloud native ARM cpus from 80-192 cores have big multicore performance without hyperthreading

AMD is pressured to compete agaist non-hyperthreading CPUs thats why they have non-hyperthreading option now.

zen4c is really awesome buch better than intels big.little concept why? zen4C has AVX512 and all the instructions

no garbage than the intel E-cores.

Comment

• qarium

Ah yes! Tom at Moores Law Is Dead has been talking off and on about Bergamo but I think at the time not much about planned desktop SKU's were talked about. I just have not kept up with the stuff, so it seems they're making a design somewhat similar to ARM which they really want to compete with.

I did not read all of it, usually if it's a PDF book or a physical book I will methodically and sequentially take to time to follow through with every word. This I had to scan through which I really don't like doing but I had to get the gist, sort have other priority's at the moment. I don't know how far off the desktop parts are but it seems they may actually hit server side first instead of the other way around like they usually do. I don't know for sure though. If this comes to AM5 it leads me to wonder if they are going to use a different IHS than that of normal Zen4. When I first saw Zen4 the first striking thing was the IHS cap I was thinking wow, what the hell is that!?

If I recall correctly intel was dropping AVX512, cause it made their chips run too hot in later designs.

Thanks for sharing that with me, may dig more into it later. I'm not that fastidious when digging into the idiosyncrasy's of CPU designs, every tiny bit and bob of CPU designs. I do geek out a bit on the stuff but nowhere near as much as some people.

Compiling is very important to me, not just shader compiling in Steam. I used to roll my own custom kernels and build lots of libraries and programs when I was on Slackware, I have really wanted to move back to doing more of that for way too long, I don't mind dealing with dependencies that much, especially if I am building less than a quarter of the packages than what comes with the OS. I am not a coder though, those guys could benefit from it the most.

I don't like what a lot of distributions are doing with their libraries and programs right now, how they are configuring them before stuff is built, wanting to move back to the older way taking stuff into my own hands.

I have grown more and more to not like the one size fits all approach that has been happening in recent years with a number of things. I am not willing to talk shit too much though, Linux being made more accessible to people which is a good thing but for my own personal taste I am starting to get very picky again, especially with the past two years of developments.
                Last edited by creative; 18 July 2023, 11:04 AM.

Comment

qarium

Ah yes! Tom at Moores Law Is Dead has been talking off and on about Bergamo but I think at the time not much about planned desktop SKU's were talked about. I just have not kept up with the stuff, so it seems they're making a design somewhat similar to ARM which they really want to compete with.

I did not read all of it, usually if it's a PDF book or a physical book I will methodically and sequentially take to time to follow through with every word. This I had to scan through which I really don't like doing but I had to get the gist, sort have other priority's at the moment. I don't know how far off the desktop parts are but it seems they may actually hit server side first instead of the other way around like they usually do. I don't know for sure though. If this comes to AM5 it leads me to wonder if they are going to use a different IHS than that of normal Zen4. When I first saw Zen4 the first striking thing was the IHS cap I was thinking wow, what the hell is that!?

If I recall correctly intel was dropping AVX512, cause it made their chips run too hot in later designs.

Thanks for sharing that with me, may dig more into it later. I'm not that fastidious when digging into the idiosyncrasy's of CPU designs, every tiny bit and bob of CPU designs. I do geek out a bit on the stuff but nowhere near as much as some people.

Compiling is very important to me, not just shader compiling in Steam. I used to roll my own custom kernels and build lots of libraries and programs when I was on Slackware, I have really wanted to move back to doing more of that for way too long, I don't mind dealing with dependencies that much, especially if I am building less than a quarter of the packages than what comes with the OS. I am not a coder though, those guys could benefit from it the most.

I don't like what a lot of distributions are doing with their libraries and programs right now, how they are configuring them before stuff is built, wanting to move back to the older way taking stuff into my own hands.

I have grown more and more to not like the one size fits all approach that has been happening in recent years with a number of things. I am not willing to talk shit too much though, Linux being made more accessible to people which is a good thing but for my own personal taste I am starting to get very picky again, especially with the past two years of developments.
                  AVX512 does not fit into intels big.little stradegy their E-Cores would be to big with AVX512
                  its not about chips run to hot... at the beginning the big performance cores had AVX512 but 2 different ISAs for the big and little designs is to hard to manage.

AMDs double pump approach is already downsized means they do AVX512 with their 256bit hardware block in 2 steps.
                  thats why AMD Zen4 and Zen4c have the same ISA and both support AVX512.

the IHS cap is just optical design it had nothing to do with the hardware inside ...

"I don't know how far off the desktop parts are but it seems they may actually hit server side first instead of the other way around like they usually do"

right they did start with the server first this time.

because the market for a (zen4+3Dcache)+(Zen4c) hybrid with 24 cores is very small.

they could advertise it as threadripper for the AM5 platform...

but honstly many people will not be interested because it will not be faster in games and it will not be faster in singlecore performance.

but for the linux people who compile software this cpu will be gold.

Comment

• qarium As you can see I have not paid that much attention to the stuff. I am sure the parts are going to be expensive as well, plus the cost of an upgrade to AM5.

In which case it might be just cheaper for me if I really feel I have to have more threads to get an R9 5950X. This is all here say though, I don't know what I will be doing a year from now, let alone even six months.

I really need to finish an audio project anyway. I am really kind of slow going.
                    Last edited by creative; 19 July 2023, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X