AMD CPU Use Among Linux Gamers Approaching 70% Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    AMD has won my dollar after all their open source drivers for GPU and so on.

I use them in everything, server, workstation, gaming rig where possible for the good Linux Support.

They earned it.

For GPUs I wish Nvidia would try to win my money by doing a FOSS GPU driver, but that's okay -- no money for them from me!
    AMD is anti consumer. They block DSSL nad XeSS. AMD is evil for gamers and gpu market, developing and adoption new technology.

AMD shame on you
    Last edited by HEL88; 02 July 2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The AMD cross platform bug that bothers me the most is their HDMI bug where the top pixel is flickering. That's happened to me for going on a decade with an R7 260x, RX 580, and a 6700 XT on ever single OS on every single monitor or TV I've used on every single PC I've had. The fix is simple enough -- change the channel and go back. I've noticed it happen when I resume the display from standby, turn the monitor on, and when games go full screen.

But this article doesn't surprise me at all. The majority of Linux users are savvy and budget-conscious so they know that AMD offers them the most bang for their buck on a platform that will get better and mature with time....because they expect AMD to support AM5 and SP5 for a hell of a lot longer than Intel will support WTF ever their newest platforms are at the time of purchase.

Windows users, OTOH, just take what's recommended to them by a salesperson or they buy whatever looks the flashiest or has the coolest ads and Intel is the King of marketing.

DIIING duh DUH duh DUH.

And you all did the Intel commercial sound from the 90s in your head. That's good marketing.

mirmirmir Linux bros are all about new hardware just as much as they are about repurposing old hardware. I love new GPU release day because 1/4 of the people here, the Linux bros with well paying jobs (or their kids), will early adopt and run to the forums to bitch about not having firmware on day one. I wouldn't advise making a drinking game out of it.
      not saying that you don't experience this bug but it is far from universal since I have never seen it going from hd7970->rx480->rx7900xtx

Comment

Used to use AMD back in the day, Athlon XP, Athlon 64(754), Phenom II tried Zen once with the 3700x, started off bad since I couldn't install Linux/play Destiny 2 when I picked it up. Then 6 months later it died on me but the RMA went smoothly and haven't had an issue with it since. It's no longer my gaming system. I upgraded to a 12700K at release and won't be switching back to AMD until they have a release without any major breakage like they've had with many of their previous releases.

Zen 1 seg faults: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Ryzen-Test-Stress-Run
        Zen 2 RdRand issue: https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-Re...Linux-Zen2-Fix
        Zen 3 USB issues: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...ctivity-issues
        Zen 4 3D chips burning: https://www.anandtech.com/show/18828...burnout-issues

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

AMD is anti consumer. They block DSSL nad XeSS. AMD is evil for gamers and gpu market, developing and adoption new technology.

AMD shame on you
          FSR is vendor agnostic, open-source and should be enough for everyone.

Comment

Huge milestone, considering the loads of anti-AMD trolls which the Internet is plagued of.

Comment

One of the biggest scams in the history of the PC was AMD's handling of the PR (Pentium Rating) designation.

You bought an AMD with a PR133 designation, for example, and thought you'd get as many frames in games with 3D graphics as you would on a Pentium 133? Nope. You had as many as on a Pentium 75 .

Nobody fooled as many millions of consumers as AMD and Cyrix did back in the day.​
              Last edited by HEL88; 02 July 2023, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

FSR is vendor agnostic, open-source and
                I'm not interested in whether the technology is open or closed. I prefer one that gives better results. Games are closed source too, and so what??

should be enough for everyone.
                you're kidding?

Intel and Nvidia not blocking implementation of FSR, but AMD is blocking competing solutions, which in most opinions are better.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
                  Huge milestone, considering the loads of anti-AMD trolls which the Internet is plagued of.
                  I forgot, you can only write well about AMD. Sorry.

Comment

Intel and Nvidia not blocking implementation of FSR, but AMD is blocking competing solutions, which in most opinions are better.
                    What would be the point of blocking other upscaling tech when FSR is open source and works on every hardware? It's not like they're selling it or would convince people to switch to AMD by using it.

On the other hand, DLSS requires Nvidia hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                      AMD has won my dollar after all their open source drivers for GPU and so on.

I use them in everything, server, workstation, gaming rig where possible for the good Linux Support.

They earned it.

For GPUs I wish Nvidia would try to win my money by doing a FOSS GPU driver, but that's okay -- no money for them from me!
                      well considering they opened their kernel driver and people are working on getting that up stream, and NVK is making some promsing gains, maybe that time isn't too far off​

AMD shame on you
                      nice try troll, post better bait

Comment

Working...
                      X