Alibaba T-Head TH1520 RISC-V CPU & A Few New Arm SoCs Ready For Linux 6.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Well, if this CPU is only about advancing the ecosystem, then they should've prioritized features over performance.

However, for all we know, the actually tried to implement FPE, but there was some chip bug and they decided just to disallow them instead of respinning the chip. I think they're not simple to implement, on a pipelined CPU.
    I think that riscv, has a bright future, but its the new kid around the block, everything needs to be done from the ground up, and I think RISCV is doing an amazing job, to be frank, I don't complain about that.
    We just need to understand that they ratified a lot of extensions in 2022...now we need to wait for hardware that comply with it.And all the companies involved in it, are developing, and doing an amazing work.

And its indeed very good, to see new hardware with this ISA
    yeah,FPUs are very nasty, and exceptions are difficult...sooner or later we will get them.
    I'm not really sure what you're complaining about. Is it that compile-time warning? These functions do also provide return codes that indicate whether they worked, but I guess the libc maintainers thought that wasn't good enough.
    Well,
    The warning from the compiler is mind blogging, I didn´t tried to understand why..because it should just work, other features like the gnu '-fsignaling-nans' should be something that ...just works, but its still considered "experimental".
    30 years in development..always focused in x86/amd64, and there are still areas where some things still fail.

Can we blame riscv, for not having exceptions, when 30 years old things still don´t have complete support?I think we can't.
    I think each project has its own goals, with people coming and going, those goals are very difficult to manage, and..we need to manage our own expectations.

Anyway, I am excited that new hardware is coming, to help us progress to a global ISA, that has the possibility to unite us all, and simplify development, since we no longer will need to be worried with zillions of things from other archs, incompatibilities, etc...its a dream that can be true.
    Other arch's will always exist, because of specific features they have, and also because there are a lot of software developed with them in mind.
    It will maybe be the biggest challenge for riscv...the optimization process...

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

That chip has boards that are cheaper than Raspberry Pi 4 or 400, and is faster than them.

Regardless, it isn't meant for you, but for developers who want to help get the RISC-V software ecosystem ready for the masses.
      But that's something that we've been hearing for the past 10 years or so. There is NO ecosystem. There is NO RISC V-based hardware anywhere to be seen and NONE has even been announced that is not vapourware. I'm not asking about ultra low-end microcontrollers or mobile-oriented SoC's that are barely comparable to ARM equivalents from three or four generations ago. I'm talking about workstation-grade systems that are comparable to Core i7s or i9s and Ryzens in ABSOLUTE performance (not per-cycle or per-watt). They simply don't and won't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        But that's something that we've been hearing for the past 10 years or so. There is NO ecosystem. There is NO RISC V-based hardware anywhere to be seen and NONE has even been announced that is not vapourware. I'm not asking about ultra low-end microcontrollers or mobile-oriented SoC's that are barely comparable to ARM equivalents from three or four generations ago. I'm talking about workstation-grade systems that are comparable to Core i7s or i9s and Ryzens in ABSOLUTE performance (not per-cycle or per-watt). They simply don't and won't exist.
        I'm not sure where you got the idea that ultra high-performance RISC-V CPUs would suddenly materialize to contend for your workstation, but I think that was an unrealistic expectation. Just look at how long it's taken ARM to get there.

There's light over the horizon, though. The natural evolution would first have it being a serious contender in embedded Linux and phones. From there, servers and chromebooks are the next logical step. Then, we might expect to see competitive laptops. Finally, workstations and desktops.

The main thing that could hasten the transition is China. Having seen how the US used IP rights to shut down ARM licensees, I think has steered them away from that path. They're going in big on RISC-V.

Second to that is how ARM is trying to squeeze Qualcomm over Nuvia's architectural license. That could kill the market for SoCs or CPUs with custom-designed ARM cores, such as anything Intel or AMD might design (because ARM is trying to assert that the downstream customer needs to buy a license to use those chips). This could push Qualcomm, Intel, AMD, etc. over to RISC-V, instead of going with ARM.

I'm not going to guess what the timeline could be.

Comment

I'm not sure where you got the idea that ultra high-performance RISC-V CPUs would suddenly materialize to contend for your workstation, but I think that was an unrealistic expectation. Just look at how long it's taken ARM to get there.

There's light over the horizon, though. The natural evolution would first have it being a serious contender in embedded Linux and phones. From there, servers and chromebooks are the next logical step. Then, we might expect to see competitive laptops. Finally, workstations and desktops.

The main thing that could hasten the transition is China. Having seen how the US used IP rights to shut down ARM licensees, I think has steered them away from that path. They're going in big on RISC-V.

Second to that is how ARM is trying to squeeze Qualcomm over Nuvia's architectural license. That could kill the market for SoCs or CPUs with custom-designed ARM cores, such as anything Intel or AMD might design (because ARM is trying to assert that the downstream customer needs to buy a license to use those chips). This could push Qualcomm, Intel, AMD, etc. over to RISC-V, instead of going with ARM.

I'm not going to guess what the timeline could be.
          Given the long time RISC-V has been around, I don't think it's fair to call expectations regarding competitive high performance cores "sudden". The fact is that to the best of my knowledge there is not even any development or credible project. You have a good point regarding China, although I expect that their default choice will be Loongson.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Given the long time RISC-V has been around, I don't think it's fair to call expectations regarding competitive high performance cores "sudden". The fact is that to the best of my knowledge there is not even any development or credible project. You have a good point regarding China, although I expect that their default choice will be Loongson.
            we need to realize that only in 2022, 16 extensions where ratified..
            Its too soon to expect high performance, and features out of riscv cores..

Loongson, its the best option now, because its in the development for 20 years now.But for microcontrollers, etc there are already plenty of options.

Comment

Working...
            X