No announcement yet.

Red Hat Aiming To Address IBRS Mitigation Still Being Too Costly On Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Aiming To Address IBRS Mitigation Still Being Too Costly On Performance

Phoronix: Red Hat Aiming To Address IBRS Mitigation Still Being Too Costly On Performance

Red Hat engineers are working to deal with Indirect Branch Restricted Speculation (IBRS) being too costly for mitigating Spectre V2 and Retbleed on older Intel Xeon Scalable processors. A new patch has been floated to disable IBRS when idle and is working out well at least for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 while isn't clear yet if it will be accepted into the upstream kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

mitigations=off for my old hardware. I wonder if amazon and google are able to quantify how much extra money they earn because of all these mitigations forcing users to spend more on compute.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
      mitigations=off for my old hardware. I wonder if amazon and google are able to quantify how much extra money they earn because of all these mitigations forcing users to spend more on compute.
      Are you suggesting that Amazon and Google might have monetary reasons to attempt to derail this effort by RH? Because it's all about the Benjamins Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
        Probably not significant, companies their size just have newer hardware where these mitigations aren't a problem

Comment

Working...
        X