Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revised Intel Shadow Stack Support May Be Ready For Linux 6.5

Phoronix: Revised Intel Shadow Stack Support May Be Ready For Linux 6.5

Intel engineers had sent in Shadow Stack support for Linux 6.4 as this feature part of Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET) but it hit a last-minute snag during the merge window with issues raised by Linus Torvalds. Now it looks like the cleaned-up Shadow Stack code will be re-submitted for the upcoming Linux 6.5 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by avis
    This is the first time they've f'ed up so much.
    Hu? You somehow slept 20 years? I remember a driver that killed entire Cards, what's a little flickering in comparison?

Comment

Michael

How about using a chance of whipping NVIDIA for a major f-up in their latest released drivers?

NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Modules Version 535.43.02 Does this happen with the proprietary driver (of the same version) as well? Yes Operating System and Version Fedora 38 Kernel Release 6.3.5 Hardware...

Have a nice day.
      1. Why are you hijacking this article about an Intel feature to advertise your bug ticket of an Nvidia product? Just why??
      2. This is far from the first time Nvidia royally screwing up. They have done massively worse than just a flickering screen
      3. If you buy Nvidia you deserve the pain. Their products are best viewed as DRM products with a limited lifetime and built-in death date that cannot be lifted because of non-free-source. Also they intentionally cripple old product to push customers into a position where they have to buy anew. You simply chose bad when you bought their stuff.

Comment

Michael

How about using a chance of whipping NVIDIA for a major f-up in their latest released drivers?

NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Modules Version 535.43.02 Does this happen with the proprietary driver (of the same version) as well? Yes Operating System and Version Fedora 38 Kernel Release 6.3.5 Hardware...

Have a nice day.
        FWIW, the latest stable 535 driver has no flickering issue on my 4K TV @ 60 Hz connected via HDMI 2.0 to a 1650 GPU.

Comment

Lastly, about this stupid pathetic shit called "built-in death date" - what's the exact use of your 10-20 years old AMD GPUs? Slow crap which cannot run anything modern? Go install older OSes and run games on it all you want. Linux has no fucking games, last time I checked. At least the ones I care about which are almost 100% of AAA titles over the past 10 years.

So what exactly is it that you're proud of? That you can use you 15 years old AMD card to run games by emulating the platform you hate so much? What a fucking achievement. Mind the word, "hate". I've used it too many times already. Expresses who you are and what you do.
          I am not talking about hardware which is just falling out of time but examples like:
          - https://www.pcworld.com/article/3945...ics-cards.html
          - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...l-performance/

Comment

OK, peace?
            Peace

Edit: I do own Nvidia stuff because that's the dGPU in my laptop so I am interested in them getting their act together, not to bash them but to hope I have a smooth future with them
            Last edited by reba; 19 June 2023, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X