Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Ryzen PRO 7000 Series Laptop & Desktop CPUs

Phoronix: AMD Announces Ryzen PRO 7000 Series Laptop & Desktop CPUs

AMD is kicking off what is going to be an exciting day with announcing the Ryzen PRO 7000 series processors for upcoming laptops and desktops.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The AMD Ryzen PRO 7040 series still contains the Microsoft Pluton security tech.
    Does that chip works in Linux at all or its another MS trap to screw Linux up?

And if thats the case, shame on you AMD.

Comment

this is kind of strange since all you can find is only asus laptops with 7000 series. its like rest of manufacturers are banned from selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        this is kind of strange since all you can find is only asus laptops with 7000 series. its like rest of manufacturers are banned from selling it.
        From what I understand intel provides all the laptop designs for manufacturers, like how all the cooling, power delivery and guts fit together. Designing a laptop is very expensive. AMD does not do it like intel does for Manufacturers. It's simply a labor and cost issue if I recall correctly.

I may possibly be incorrect though, it's been a while since I heard the talk that I was listening to.

You can add Lenovo to the list of Ryzen laptops, also Acer as well. I am going to be honest, if you are going to get a laptop go with something like Lenovo or Asus anyway. I am sure Acer is good too.
        Last edited by creative; 13 June 2023, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I would really hope to see Chipsets for that generation that can divide available PCIe lanes for more PCIe connectors given that Gen5 bandwidth is enough for a ton of Gen2/3 devices that still have plenty of use today

Comment

I've got a Lenovo T16 with a 6850U PRO processor and the MS Pluton thing doesn't get in the way.

On the very plus side of things, the laptop DOES work with fwupd so I don't have to swap out my SSD and boot MS to do BIOS updates, unlike my HP desktop. My experience owning it has been very positive, I did a "Build your own" on the Lenovo site and the whole experience has been very positive.

Comment

I wonder if there's a real performance difference between 7840u and 7840hs .
              If not I would go for the U version with its 15wh the battery would last very long time

Comment

Originally posted by samuelec View Post
                If not I would go for the U version with its 15wh the battery would last very long time
                I was just sort of thinking a bit about this. If anyone has input, happy to listen. I assume what makes these low wattage U variants is underclocking via very low voltage. Other than not as performant, are there any other disadvantages that come with this? Obviously some people want maximum CPU performance, but for those that don't need to max it out, things like cooler running and longer battery life may hold more value. Just wondering what other disadvantages other than performance might be involved. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by samuelec View Post
                  if it is like gen 4/5 in some cases about 20% when you push cpu/gpu, less when you want use only but makes big difference in cpu bench it simple can become stable ate high clocks many time

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    There could be other things going on in the background like:

Maybe AMD cant produce enough chips at the volume that OEMs require??
                    OR Intel has more key turn solutions for like wifi chips and other stuff that goes into laptops that required in modern devices. ??
                    OR Intel had/has a higher volume pricing discounts than what AMD could match. ??

It is really hard to tell why OEMs are choosing to use different hardware. All of things that OEMs say, seem more like marketing from AMD/Intel VS actually reasons why OEMs choose the hardware that they did.
                    Last edited by castlefox; 13 June 2023, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X