No announcement yet.

AMD Launches Ryzen 7020 C-Series - Continues Pushing Zen 2 For Chromebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can 'simply' replace the lithium batteries for a few Space Credits in sealed laptops if you get a decent tear-down guide to speed up the dismantling.

Solid laptops deserve that attention.
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

The 7020 series looks way too old for me. I don't mind the less cores, less PCIe bandwidth or lower clocks. I do mind lower IPC and worse power efficiency. DDR5 will be sorely missed too.
      How is 7020 series "old"? It's brand new.

Just to correct your (and to be fair, other commenters misconceptions), while the 7020s do re-use Zen2 cpu core designs, they are built on a revised 6nm process (upgraded but compatible with the olde 7nm process that Zen2 Ryzen 3000 debuted on), they use LPDDR5 (not DDR4), and they use new RDNA2 gpu cores.
      Source: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-7520c

It sounds like you are not in the market for an APU this small, but it at least looks to be quite competitive on paper with newer low power offerings from Intel. And if the Steam Deck is anything to go by, they'll be incredible efficient in the sub 15 watt category.

I've been very vocal about my displeasure with AMD's new naming scheme that buries the core design generation in the third digit, but at least these new chips are indeed something new.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Just to correct your (and to be fair, other commenters misconceptions), while the 7020s do re-use Zen2 cpu core designs, they are built on a revised 6nm process (upgraded but compatible with the olde 7nm process that Zen2 Ryzen 3000 debuted on), they use LPDDR5 (not DDR4), and they use new RDNA2 gpu cores.

It sounds like you are not in the market for an APU this small, but it at least looks to be quite competitive on paper with newer low power offerings from Intel. And if the Steam Deck is anything to go by, they'll be incredible efficient in the sub 15 watt category.

I've been very vocal about my displeasure with AMD's new naming scheme that buries the core design generation in the third digit, but at least these new chips are indeed something new.
        Intel have done it for decades, so I'm not surprised AMD will follow Intel step in the future

Comment

they use LPDDR5 (not DDR4), and they use new RDNA2 gpu cores.
          Thanks for pointing this out, figured they were DDR4 because of ZEN 2 not DDR 5 but that is very cool that they are using that latest fast memory.

Comment

A few years ago I had to use a dual-core-without-hyperthreading machine, one of those freestanding units where the guts of the system are squeezed behind the monitor, and while it wasn't awful, it wasn't great either. I pity anyone who has to use that now and as the system ages going forward.

As far as a laptop use goes, I think that Athlon 7120C shouldn't exist. I don't think anyone knowledgeble would choose it, but some people will be forced to use it.

Comment

It's crazy how people expect randomly assigned model's of CPU don't fit their bill of material expectation.

Move along?

Joe Blow isn't going to understand ANY of this; he's being talked at by a honigwurst und krawatte trying to get commission.

'Experts' going to peen.

The rest of us, read.
              Hi

Comment

Old technology e.g. no USB4, no "AI Engine", no AVX-512, smaller caches, probably no AV1. Boost clocks seems to be limited to low 4Ghz range, but it's difficult to say if it's a chip or power profile limit.

Thanks for the correction on the memory and fabrication, I must have been confused with the 7030 which is using DRR4 and 7nm fab. The LPDDR5 makes a big difference!

I am looking for a processor that can be scaled to 15 W and gives good power/perf at that scale. Like I mentioned in my previous comment I would likely end up going with a Phoenix chip (7040 series). My ideal chip would be 7840U which gives me 8C16T that boosts to 5.1Ghz, 12 RDAN3 compute units @ 2.7Ghz, AI Engine, AVX-512, USB4 and hopefully AV1 encode/decode. This APU would compete against my previous desktop at a fraction of the power draw. I just need a decent shell with good Linux support. After all it doesn't help to have such a good APU if your input or network devices doesn't work.

Slightly off topic:

The 7940HS would make an awesome mini pc (FP7r2 version to allow for easy RAM expansion). If there was something smaller than 15W it would compete well with network devices like https://www.servethehome.com/inexpen...-i225-pfsense/ but the embedded market seems to be last on AMD's list. Not that I blame them, it's a tough market to compete in but I would like to use more of their products. My firewall uses an Intel Atom from 2013!

Yeah, some kind of Nvidia-maxQ style marketing this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  What is the goal of making new chips with old architectures?
                  The goal is not releasing the newest and greatest stuff, it is beating the competition (namely, the Intel N100) with the least possible expense.

It's old in the sense that Zen2 & RDNA2 is 2019 technology, and today we have the year 2023.
                  This has practical implications also. Zen2 is for example vulnerable to the Retbleed attack, and properly mitigating it has serious performance impact. If Google decides to partially mitigate, it will be interesting to see if someone manages to hack into a Mendocino Chromebook at the next pwn2own contest.

Another drawback is that RDNA2 lacks hardware AV1 encode support, so using these Chromebooks for video conferencing will become an issue once the major videoconferencing solutions switch over to AV1.

Comment

Jabberwocky You want a 7040 or 7045.

image.png
                    This chart came from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzen

Comment

Working...
                    X