Corsair 2 x 24GB DDR5-7000 Memory Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Whoaa, at those prices I am tempted to move my 12600k to DDR5. If I can find a decent mobo (I'm picky about those) that won't break the bank.
    Phoronix's test is quite misleading. In the vast majority of situations there is little difference between DDR4 @ 3600 and DDR5 @ 6000

Here's an example from reality:​ https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/04...oard-review/7/

From a performance perspective, we compared the $320, midrange BIOSTAR Racing Z690 GTA with DDR4 memory against a $1,100 top tier DDR5 motherboard and DDR5 6000MHz RAM. Despite the massive cost difference, the BIOSTAR Racing Z690 GTA did extremely well coming within 1-3% of the much more expensive test platform. In some cases, the BIOSTAR Racing Z690 GTA achieved even better results than the aforementioned price behemoth of a test system.

Comment

Originally posted by Classical View Post

Phoronix's test is quite misleading. In the vast majority of situations there is little difference between DDR4 @ 3600 and DDR5 @ 6000

Here's an example from reality:​ https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/04...oard-review/7/

From a performance perspective, we compared the $320, midrange BIOSTAR Racing Z690 GTA with DDR4 memory against a $1,100 top tier DDR5 motherboard and DDR5 6000MHz RAM. Despite the massive cost difference, the BIOSTAR Racing Z690 GTA did extremely well coming within 1-3% of the much more expensive test platform. In some cases, the BIOSTAR Racing Z690 GTA achieved even better results than the aforementioned price behemoth of a test system.
      The best thing I can say for that review was that it was trash. They really need to learn how to document system configurations better. We have no idea what the memory timings were set to and they used different CPUs and thermal solutions and then pretend the differences were due to the memory? This reads like "my first PC review". Also, their web site it horrible, how to people put up with that formatting?

They run very few benchmarks and those they do run are poorly documented--they don't report program version nor setup. They don't say what clocks they're running the various memory setups at. From what I can tell, they're using extremely low latency DDR4--3600CL16 vs DDR5-6000CL36. The DDR5 is reasonable if a little high, but the DDR4 is super low!

Comment

Working...
      X