Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair 2 x 24GB DDR5-7000 Memory Linux Performance

Phoronix: Corsair 2 x 24GB DDR5-7000 Memory Linux Performance

Corsair recently launched their line-up of 2 x 24GB DDR5 memory kits. With recent DDR5 memory prices falling, for as little as $215 USD it's now possible to obtain 48GB of DDR5-7000 RAM. With this being my first time testing a non-binary DDR5 memory kit, here is an initial look at the Corsair CMK48GX5M2B7000C40 compatibility and performance under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm. We're back at feeding the little monsters (nice results).

But... either the CPU is bad at predicting data needs (misses),
    or the datasets are increasingly so fat it can't fit a reasonable working set inside modern CPU caches?

Both of the cases would benefit greatly from less latency and increased bw to RAM.

Comment

For many of the more demanding workloads, the Corsair DDR5-7000 memory kit was providing some nice advantages over more common DDR5-6000 speeds even with the higher latency of DDR5-7000.
      What do you mean higher latency of the DDR5-7000? 40 cycles at 7GHz is less time than 36 cycles at 6GHz. The DDR5-7000CL40 has *lower* latency than the DDR5-6000CL36 memory. Keep in mind that latency values are in cycles, not in some unit of absolute time. CL40 @ 7000 is the same as CL34.29 @ 6000.

Comment

Whoaa, at those prices I am tempted to move my 12600k to DDR5. If I can find a decent mobo (I'm picky about those) that won't break the bank.

Comment

Desktop Zen 4 CPUs don't support/run with DDR5 faster than 6000MHz. Just so you knew. And if you have four DIMM slots populated you're f*cked: only 3600MHz for you.

Strangely mobile APUs support up to LPDDR5x-7500.
          Last edited by avis; 21 April 2023, 09:50 AM.

Comment

the quality of PC BIOS' is really sub-par. It took Gigabyte 6 month to get over 5600 MT stable on my X670E Aurus Master AM5 board, ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ZUCT7TSWg

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Desktop Zen 4 CPUs don't support/run with DDR5 faster than 6000MHz. Just so you knew. And if you have four DIMM slots populated you're f*cked: only 3600MHz for you.

yeah, the PCB traces are also shorter, and directly soldered without socket, ...

Comment

I'd be curious to know if CL36@6000 is the best this kit will do or is it just some XMPP pre-baked profile?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

LPDDR5x-7500 is completely different from DDR5, they just happen to share some text in their nomenclature. They are different in almost every way, different PHY different physical design etc etc...
                  Last edited by cb88; 21 April 2023, 11:47 AM.

Comment

7000 will never work on zen4. 6000 is its max. you might be able to squeeze up to 6400 but only a small percentage with a lot of heavy tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                    X