No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu 23.04 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just noticed this benchmark that shows heavy regressions in ubuntu: https://www.phoronix.com/review/ubuntu-2304-laptops making the win from 23.04 to Windows even more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post

0 pricing issues? I'll put you in touch with our RHEL VAR. And on the bloat front, you haven't used Ubuntu recently have you?

Good and "0 issues" are not the same and saying something has "0 issues" suggests your usage of it is very shallow.
      I mean, for Windows there's only "1 Windows" depending on what is being done, and in all cases there's pricing involved if you want full functionality. For Linux you're not forced to use RedHat (which I believe recently became free for some cases?). In any case, I wasn't talking about the server space.

But even though I was talking about the Desktop, even in the server space one can build a server with Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS/Rocky, or whatever distro they want. But then, of course, if there's a company involved, with huge servers that can't go down, "spending money" just comes with the business, either with support from the makers or personnel to take care of them (or both).

What I mean is that there is freedom with Linux. Don't like RedHat? Use Rocky, or Debian, or whatever other distro you want, for free.

In regards to issues: I didn't say "there's never any bugs". In fact, this is a gripe I always have with technology, is that nothing truly works 100% of the time. But I still stand on my commend that there are:
      - 0 boat: although extremely rare, some distros can have some bloat. But contrary to Windows, they're never tied to the OS and one can remove them easily. That goes 100% in contrast with e.g. Cortana in Windows - if a user doesn't want Cortana and completely removes it, the Search functionality stops working. That has never happened on Linux, not only because our community is much more vigilant and vocal about these kinds of stuff, but because Linux gives us the freedom to whatever we want with our system, even completely removing the Kernel. And we not only have full access to the SourceCode, but I've never seen a new functionality (that can be considered bloat) being 100% tied to the OS and preventing regular users from removing it;
      - 0 privacy issues: same as above, freedom to remove it or use a different DE/Distro. But then you can say "but Ubuntu 12.10 and Amazon" - in which case: yes, that was a nasty move by Canonical. But the "tool" was GPL, which means they (Canonical) had the "right" to put it there, and we as the users had the right to disable the tool or remove it completely, or use a different DE than Unity, or not use Ubuntu altogether. In this case, the freedom goes both ways and we're not bound to Canonical's mistakes;
      - 0 licensing issues: same as first item, nobody's forced to use a specific distro;
      - 0 updating issues: contrary to Windows, we are in full control of the updates we want to allow on our systems. Is "KMines" updating and you don't want the few KB of network bandwidth used every time KDE pushes an update for it? Just put the package on hold, or remove the package entirely. I remember a while ago I used to have a script that would block numerous packages from even installing in the first place, I'd run Ubuntu/Debian installer (expert install) and wget the script that would block geoclue and a few other dozen packages that Parabola and other Libre distros would block in regards to privacy. Apt was smart enough to realize I didn't want those packages and it would allow me to fully install any DE I wanted. I was in full control (for what my abilities as a non-coder are).

In addition, there's never a time problem when updating. Do you remember when you used to re-install Windows 7 and there were hundreds of updates waiting to be installed, and it could literally take several hours to update them all because Windows update is slow AF? Now grab Debian 10 or 11 and update it, you can even set your internet speeds to be limited to the "old" speeds you had in the past. Sure, the download speeds will be the same, but the install speeds is what matters, and Linux is extremely fast in this regard.

I've also never encountered issues when upgrading from one version to another - but that can also be said about Windows. What Microsoft is really good at is making sure their OS is backwards compatible and that the upgrade process is seamless - although it also takes quite longer than on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
        Do you remember when you used to re-install Windows 7 and there were hundreds of updates waiting to be installed, and it could literally take several hours to update them all because Windows update is slow AF?
        It really is much worse than you already described it. First it's not any better in Win 10, second updates are uncontrolable and therefore mess with your gaming (or other time critical tasks) experience.
        When I have a high end Win system (fastest CPU and M.2 you could buy) and a random arch linux box, clicking on "search for updates" in Windows will last longer than the complete update process in arch. Plus I can do updates and reboot whenever I want under Linux.

Comment

Working...
        X