AMD Phoenix Support Progressing For Coreboot, New Google Chromebook Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Phoenix Support Progressing For Coreboot, New Google Chromebook Added

Phoronix: AMD Phoenix Support Progressing For Coreboot, New Google Chromebook Added

AMD and their partners continue working on bringing up Coreboot for the Ryzen Mobile 7040 Series "Phoenix" support for those very interesting forthcoming mobile processors with Zen 4 CPU cores and RDNA3 graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But can Zen 4 compete against Apple M1 or M2 in terms of battery time. performance and energy efficiency?

Or does Zen 4 have a half the performance at twice the power consumption?

Comment

Wow, you are trolling? Considering that my Renoir (Zen2) notebook completes tasks like code compilation in less than half the time of the M1 Pro macbook, I really think Apple's marketing is somehow fanboy driven.
      Sure it only get 7h actual usable battery life, but it has a half the size battery, and that's good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        But can Zen 4 compete against Apple M1 or M2 in terms of battery time. performance and energy efficiency?

Or does Zen 4 have a half the performance at twice the power consumption?
        Does it matter when the only supported OS on M1/M2 chipsets is MacOS?

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimefighter View Post

Does it matter when the only supported OS on M1/M2 chipsets is MacOS?
          It seems there is Asahi Linux, a project with the goal of porting Linux to Apple Silicon Macs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

It seems there is Asahi Linux, a project with the goal of porting Linux to Apple Silicon Macs.
            I am well aware of it. LOL That doesn't change the fact Linux is not officially supported on M1/M2 devices and Asahi Linux while a cool project is basically a hack that is at the Alpha release stages. I found it odd to mention the M1/M2 chipsets that are part of a locked down platform on a Linux forum.
            Last edited by oldtimefighter; 13 April 2023, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X