Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Cluster-Aware Scheduling Being Extended To AMD Processors

Phoronix: Linux Cluster-Aware Scheduling Being Extended To AMD Processors

Back in 2021 saw work on CPU cluster-aware scheduling by HiSilicon engineers for Arm processors as well as Intel engineers with a focus on their Jacobsville platform being comprised of clusters of Atom cores. That x86 cluster-aware scheduling was enabled for capable Intel processors while now two years later is being extended for AMD processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the news Michael, just rebuilt my kernel with the patch, will post some benchmark when they finish (I just launched pts/developer tonight)

Edit 3 : updated with "correct" benchmarks : https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...95&hni=1&ppt=D

Leftmost system (the most recent benchmark) is with the patch applied. If the results are to be believed, some workloads benefit from a very measurable increase in performance.
    Last edited by aviallon; 12 April 2023, 05:39 AM. Reason: Add new benchmarks

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact this has.

I wonder how this affected Knights Landing back in the day, which had 4-way SMT and shared L2 caches.

AMD Bulldozer also had shared L2 caches in a module, so that could be interesting to benchmark if you still have such a system hanging around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
        It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact this has.

I wonder how this affected Knights Landing back in the day, which had 4-way SMT and shared L2 caches.

AMD Bulldozer also had shared L2 caches in a module, so that could be interesting to benchmark if you still have such a system hanging around.
        the answer will probably be 0, since it wouldn't be enabled for those CPUs without work

Comment

For those who do not want to wait until v6.4 it is now in default kernel at: https://t2sde.org/packages/linux

Comment

Working...
          X