No announcement yet.

Intel Linux Optimizations Help AMD EPYC "Genoa" Improve Scaling To 384 Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Optimizations Help AMD EPYC "Genoa" Improve Scaling To 384 Threads

Phoronix: Intel Linux Optimizations Help AMD EPYC "Genoa" Improve Scaling To 384 Threads

Last month I wrote about Intel's Linux kernel engineering improvements to help enhance CPU scaling across various workloads by addressing low-level bottlenecks within the kernel. It's an area we'll likely see Intel continue to invest in as Sierra Forest comes next year with 144 E cores per socket. Already with the Linux kernel patches Intel is carrying at the moment via their in-house distribution, there are some significant benefits for Xeon Scalable Sapphire Rapids. I was curious to see how this Intel-focused work impacted AMD EPYC servers and thus in today's article is a similar analysis using two AMD EPYC 9654 "Genoa" flagship processors while evaluating Intel's Linux kernel optimizations.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    this allows seeing in turn how Intel's optimzized kernel

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo:
      Fixed, thanks
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would have loved it if you could have thrown FreeBSD into this test.

Comment

THX Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
            I would have loved it if you could have thrown FreeBSD into this test.
            I don't recall offhand if FreeBSD even is running right now on Genoa + Titanite but was already taxing enough to run these tests on just the 3 distros... Due to the number of combinations (especially low thread counts) was very time consuming that I am not even sure yet if I will break even on these tests for what I did run.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If we're going to put "Genoa" in quotes, maybe we can do the same with Intel.
              Xeon "Scalable" Sapphire Rapids
              Xeon Scalable Sapphire "Rapids"
              Last edited by NateHubbard; 06 April 2023, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Intel Linux Optimizations Help AMD EPYC "Genoa" Improve Scaling To 384 Threads

intel devs: sorry for the bug, it will be fixed ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't recall offhand if FreeBSD even is running right now on Genoa + Titanite but was already taxing enough to run these tests on just the 3 distros... Due to the number of combinations (especially low thread counts) was very time consuming that I am not even sure yet if I will break even on these tests for what I did run.
                  Thanks for all the amazing work that you do Michael!

Comment

Here's a question for those more knowledgeable:

Would you run into these same scaling issues with a bare-metal hypervisor splitting the system into 2, 4 (or more) VMs? Some of the benchmarks level off, or even fall flat on their face after a certain thread count. For example, would you get more throughput on the PostgreSQL 15 benchmark running 4x VMs with 96 vCPUs each?

Comment

Working...
                    X