AmpereOne Sees Last Minute Compiler Tuning Ahead Of GCC 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
    I mean Qualcomm and Ampere as seperate entities.
    Qualcomm killed off their Centriq server CPU a bit over 4 years ago, just as it was about to launch. That was thought to be done to shore up their financials to stave off a takeover bid by someone.

And, although Nuvia claimed their original mission was to build server CPUs, Qualcomm has stayed very non-committal about whether that avenue would ever be pursued under their ownership. Their initial focus is clearly laptops and presumably phones.

So, it doesn't make sense to even talk about Qualcomm server CPUs, at this time. There's no such thing on the radar, which means a minimum of probably 3 years before such a thing could reach the market.

Qualcomm would be competing with Nvidia/AMD/Intel dGPUs whether they like it or not,
    The present reality we have is Qualcomm contending with AMD and Intel iGPUs, in the laptop market.

I figured there should be some decent reviews of it, but 2 of the 4 professional reviews I found didn't even benchmark the GPU. The other two ran some 3DMark tests, but I presume it was running under emulation and not a native ARMv8 build. The more comprehensive of the two was this one:
    Last edited by coder; 29 March 2023, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Qualcomm killed off their Centriq server CPU a bit over 4 years ago, just as it was about to launch. That was thought to be done to shore up their financials to stave off a takeover bid by someone.

And, although Nuvia claimed their original mission was to build server CPUs, Qualcomm has stayed very non-committal about whether that avenue would ever be pursued under their ownership. Their initial focus is clearly laptops and presumably phones.

So, it doesn't make sense to even talk about Qualcomm server CPUs, at this time. There's no such thing on the radar, which means a minimum of probably 3 years before such a thing could reach the market.

The present reality we have is Qualcomm contending with AMD and Intel iGPUs, in the laptop market.

I figured there should be some decent reviews of it, but 2 of the 4 professional reviews I found didn't even benchmark the GPU. The other two ran some 3DMark tests, but I presume it was running under emulation and not a native ARMv8 build. The more comprehensive of the two was this one:
      No surprise there. No offense to Phoronix, but notebookcheck is the best laptop reviewer around.

Fanatic thoroughness aside, I'm fairly certain they are the only website left that maintains a good Windows gpu performance database.

Comment

No surprise there. No offense to Phoronix, but notebookcheck is the best laptop reviewer around.
        Thanks for the tip! I never looked at laptop reviews. The last time I needed to buy one, I went with (the once default choice of) a "Thinkpad", and then my search was simply about finding a good deal on a B-stock or refurb unit.

Now, with Linux support becoming so pervasive, geopolitical considerations might cause me to prefer other options than Lenovo, for my next laptop. Dell has announced plans to eliminate China from its supply chain by 2027.

I'm fairly certain they are the only website left that maintains a good Windows gpu performance database.
        FWIW, TechPowerUp has a very nice CPU/GPU specifications database. I'll probably always use Wikipedia as my primary source, but TPU's has a nice searchability feature.
        Last edited by coder; 30 March 2023, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Thanks for the tip! I never looked at laptop reviews. The last time I needed to buy one, I went with (the once default choice of) a "Thinkpad", and then my search was simply about finding a good deal on a B-stock or refurb unit.

Now, with Linux support becoming so pervasive, geopolitical considerations might cause me to prefer other options than Lenovo, for my next laptop. Dell has announced plans to eliminate China from its supply chain by 2027.

FWIW, TechPowerUp has a very nice CPU/GPU specifications database. I'll probably always use Wikipedia as my primary source, but TPU's has a nice searchability feature.
          Indeed, but notebookcheck hosts actual benchmarks for many games, and they also have desktop GPUs as reference points. The amount of labor put into it is almost unbelievable.

Its unlikely my next laptop will be anything but a 16" Framework (because Framework) or an Asus Zephyrus (since they are overengineered yet so deeply discounted in the US), but I am still going to check with them before pulling any trigger.

Comment

Working...
          X