Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
    This is more cache than my first computer had disk space! XD
    We passed that decades ago for me since I only had 2 360k floppies...

Comment

Yep.... I remember those days. For a college kid in early 80s, the big (want to say 10MB) 'hard disk' was not pocket change.

Thanks for the write-up. Looks like X3D do have some advantages for those who need (or is that just want? Bragging rights?) more processing power. So far my Ryzen 5000 series systems are over-kill for what I currently need. Not a gamer either. Still neat to see direction of technology for technology sake.

Comment

The heterogeneous nature of the CPU between CCDs can be controlled by using cpuset. I can't wait to get one and do some benchmarking, and for example put wineserver on one CCD and the game on the vcache one

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
          I wonder what the results would look like if both dies had some V-Cache. I mean, there has got to be some overhead/non-optimal use due to this heterogeneous setup.
          We might be headed for an era of really complicated schedulers. AMD land has its more-cache-vs-more-clockspeed tradeoff, and Intel land (as well as a few generations of ARM) has its performance-vs-efficiency tradeoff. And our OS is supposed to know how to do the right thing? Shiit, even I don't know what the right thing is, other than "try both, then measure the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

The luxury, my 1541-clone only had 170kb floppies

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
              I wonder what the results would look like if both dies had some V-Cache. I mean, there has got to be some overhead/non-optimal use due to this heterogeneous setup.
              well that would in principle by an Epyc (have larger L3 than the Ryzen 3d-models without the V-cache) so I guess that the main reason why we will never see one is because they don't want to cannibalize on their server cpu sales. Perhaps if the stars align we will see a ThreadRipper with a larger L3.

Comment

Very nice. No longer the dilemma of cache vs cores as on 5800X3D or 5950X. Now we can have both, although it may be worth testing certain processes using taskset to restrict it to the higher cache CCD. Hardware Unboxed got some much better gaming results by disabling the low cache CCD in BIOS but we can surely achieve that without disabling the cores altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                  well that would in principle by an Epyc (have larger L3 than the Ryzen 3d-models without the V-cache) so I guess that the main reason why we will never see one is because they don't want to cannibalize on their server cpu sales.
                  I'm not convinced of that. I think they would sell a fully 3D-cache multi-die Ryzen, if they thought it offered compelling value. But, it would cost more and be even slower on non-gaming tasks, so they probably made the right decision.

Based on the gaming benchmarks where the non-cache die was disabled, there's not much downside for gamers having this mix vs. a simulated 7800X3D. Overall, the default 7950X3D actually does better on gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                    Hardware Unboxed got some much better gaming results by disabling the low cache CCD in BIOS but we can surely achieve that without disabling the cores altogether.
                    Techpowerup tried both scheduler tweaks and disabling CCDs + comparing these with the default configuration.

Their results are worth a look: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/r...mance-preview/

Comment

It is pretty wild to watch my 5950X getting smoked like that so soon. Although contemporary CPUs blew out the power budget and shoved in as much cache in as you could fit, so they probably won't be able to keep up this pace of improvement in subsequent generations.

Comment

Working...
                      X