AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grok View Post

They don't sell RX6400 for consumers (yet?), this is what many people want, gtx 750 or 1050 class and even back then the gtx 1050 was a bit too expensive. So, the GPU is only about as powerful as a PS4? wow, how can we manage to live with that.
    guahhh i cant imagine something worst than rx 6500 xt, however rx 6400 dont be suffer with lack of pci-e (especially in gen3 mainboards like most people have)

but in this market segment seeking last 3 weeks prices on microcenter them seem desperate because gtx 1050 ti in various msi models them ask for 280us*

and now appear various msi gtx 1050ti models at 189us and with rebate option around 184us to 169us

for my part them must be suffer (nvidia-amd) for put insane gpu prices and now good luck try sell this garbage (2017 gpus with around 2x price in 2022)

i waiting for arc 3 for them (nvidia-amd) need cut prices more**

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

guahhh i cant imagine something worst than rx 6500 xt, however rx 6400 dont be suffer with lack of pci-e (especially in gen3 mainboards like most people have)

but in this market segment seeking last 3 weeks prices on microcenter them seem desperate because gtx 1050 ti in various msi models them ask for 280us*
      If someone comes out with a passively cooled version of the 6400 I could see it becoming popular.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

If someone comes out with a passively cooled version of the 6400 I could see it becoming popular.
        meh (however according tdp arc 3 have more posibilities of passive model than rx 6400) i prefer give my money to intel, possible ark dont stay in same level than nvidia or amd but gpu market need another player for prevent products like rx 6500 mediocre laptop gpu adapted to desktop

without forget for av1 decode and encode* capabilities arc 3 kick 6500/6400 and have more complete pci-e because ark offer gen 4 at x8** compared rx 6500 with poorly gen 4 at x4

*in my case av1 encode will be a killer feature for my channel recordings

**thanks to that with pci-3 gen at x8, arc 3 must be runs ok

Last edited by pinguinpc; 10 April 2022, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
          ... R5 5500. It supports only PCI-E gen 3. ...
          Ryzen 5 5500 is Cezanne and Cezanne doesn't support PCI-E gen 4.

Comment

I saw it on the Internet and realized that it was my choice. After the release of the M1/M2 from Apple I also wanted something very energy efficient and came across reviews of the 5500, but not all highlighted its power consumption and only compared performance. I should also mention that compared to 5600X and 12100, this model has no problem overclocking up to 4700 RAM and no RAM write speed drop like 5600X. Therefore, with overclocked memory, the difference in RAM write speed reaches a difference of 3 times. But don't know if it will give me a good advantage in my work tasks. But unequivocally 5500 wins in power efficiency. In games for example with 20-50% FPS lag from 5600X we have 2 times power consumption difference. But in multi-threaded games like Total War Saga the results are even better, lagging behind the 5600X by only 9% but still having 2x difference in power consumption.

Now all I'm left with is a choice in video cards. On Linux of course I would like rx6400 considering support, but considering pci-e 3.0 the most profitable option is nvidia 3050 with 16 lines, but alas, nvidia is too far from open source. I think maybe Intel Arc A380 will finish and it will be ok. There are 8 pci-e lines, already better than rx6400, and there is 6GB of memory, because of what less frequent drops in FPS will be caused by using pci-e lines. + I get a bonus in the form of AV1 encoding. My usage scenarios are more often work tasks than games.

Comment

Working...
            X