AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Maybe something has changed in the recent times but in the past there was a significant power use increase when using the performance governor by default. Also I read or maybe misunderstood that keeping the CPU at its highest frequency means using a higher voltage which means an increased power consumption but I've now compared the power consumption for ondemand and performance governors in idle for my 5800X and the difference is barely there. However there's a little bit more pronounced difference between powersave and performance governors (around 1W which is nothing for the 140W 5800X).

I need to ask someone who knows how modern CPU indeed work. Again, I'm perfectly aware of C-states (Linux didn't properly support C-states for my first laptop with a SkyLake mobile CPU for months) but frequency! Voltage! Power!

I also remember my 8800GT (NX8800GT Zilent - an excellent card) which I manually downlocked in order to reduce its idle power consumption (it didn't have the best VBIOS and I didn't want to edit it).

Let me apologize for my previous comment. It was unnecessarily harsh and arrogant. I will try to avoid that in the future. I need to choose words carefully specially when I haven't reverified my statements.
    Thanks for actually testing & confirming that the performance governor doesn't cause any excessive energy consumption on your AMD Ryzen, too!

However, I also remember that another user complained about rising temperatures on his unspecified AMD CPU with the performance governor active.

My guess back then was that the person was probably using a multi-CCX Ryzen such as 3600 or 5900X, most likely in combination with daemons like IRQbalance causing the Infinity Fabric to stay at high clocks all the time, thus causing unnecessary heat output.

So should there be anyone with such a multi-CCX Ryzen system happening to be reading this, it would be appreciated if you could try the performance governor and see whether the idle power consumption drastically changes on your end.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
      curiously on microcenter i5 12400 stay more cheaper than Michael shows (208us)

Get it now! 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12400 desktop processor. Featuring PCIe 5.0 & 4.0 support, DDR5 and DDR4 support, 12th Gen Intel Core i5 desktop processors are optimized for gamers and productivity and help deliver high performance. Intel Laminar RM1 included in the box.

i5 12400 (igp included) stay in 169us and 5500 (no igp) in 159us

Not everyone live in US soil.

Comment

I just realized very stupid thing about R5 5500. It supports only PCI-E gen 3.

6500 XT is only 4 lane GPU that loses a lot of performance on Gen 3 (needs gen 4 to get full performance).

It makes it extremly ironic, that own AMD CPU budget product is horrible pair up with another AMD GPU budget product.

Comment

Originally posted by strtj View Post
          It's a shame to not see this compared to any of the higher-end, or at least middle-end, Ryzen 3 processors. Do I want this to replace a 3600?
          The ryzen 5600 is a better version of the 3600, and the 5500 is a worse version of the 5600. If we just look at L3 cache configurations :
          Ryzen 3600 has 16MB for three cores and 16MB for the other three cores
          Ryzen 5600 has 32MB for all six cores
          Ryzen 5500 has 16MB for all six cores
          So either go for a 5600 or better, or change nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

6500 XT is only 4 lane GPU that loses a lot of performance on Gen 3 (needs gen 4 to get full performance).

It makes it extremly ironic, that own AMD CPU budget product is horrible pair up with another AMD GPU budget product.
            A520 chipset motherboards are stuck to PCIe 3.0 I believe. At least you can build with A520 and a 5500, the A520 board will have weak VRMs too but the 5500 also saves power from not having an I/O die.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

A520 chipset motherboards are stuck to PCIe 3.0 I believe. At least you can build with A520 and a 5500, the A520 board will have weak VRMs too but the 5500 also saves power from not having an I/O die.
              5500 is actually according to GN review, not consuming less power in some workloads/stress tests comparing to 5600. I suspect 5500 is 5600G inside with very low yield or not functional iGPU. 5600G has I/O dies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

seems perfectly because until now rx 6500 xt is a horrible card (price, capacity, 64bit ram, lack of enough pci-e, lack decode and encode capabilities compared previous gen aka rx 5500) and need perfect couple cpu like ryzen 5 5500 (expensive and lower performance in gaming compared i3 12100)

Resuming both products suck in so many levels

Last edited by pinguinpc; 07 April 2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I still plan on running this, I've just had a horrible week. Long story short, occasionally I wake up with a shoulder pain if I sleep on the wrong side and it goes away after a day or two. I'm on day 5.

Anyhoo, that's been distracting me but I got around to running last night and, well, the PTS misses a lot of dependencies on Manjaro, a few tests don't install properly, and the initial setup throws an error around dependency handling -- [8192] explode(): Passing null to parameter Forum ($string) of type string is deprecated in arch_dependency_handler:89

I haven't looked into it any more than scrolling my terminal. That'll be later this afternoon. I like how my terminal output is copy/pasted like that. Sucks it loses that if I put in in code blocks.

Comment

In comparison to a 5600G (currently $199 with promo at NewEgg) you save $40. But you lose PCIe 4x, AND a small bit of performance, AND the integrated video capability. This processor doesn't make sense, unless you already have a video card which you'd like to keep. Thanks to Michael for the testing!

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

seems perfectly because until now rx 6500 xt is a horrible card (price, capacity, 64bit ram, lack of enough pci-e, lack decode and encode capabilities compared previous gen aka rx 5500) and need perfect couple cpu like ryzen 5 5500 (expensive and lower performance in gaming compared i3 12100)

Resuming both products suck in so many levels

They don't sell RX6400 for consumers (yet?), this is what many people want, gtx 750 or 1050 class and even back then the gtx 1050 was a bit too expensive. So, the GPU is only about as powerful as a PS4? wow, how can we manage to live with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X