Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This comment thread is ridiculous. Can’t we have open discussion around the article rather than back and forth discussion obsessing over the minutiae of what’s a better deal for x, y or z.

the first few posts were clearly trolls - I think we all agree gaming results are not a mess on windows, and has lots of room to grow on Linux.

we should also acknowledge that AM4 boards with zen 5000 support are generally cheaper and so that does somewhat offset the cheaper intel prices. Exact trade off is incredibly use case specific YMMV. but don’t kid yourself cross comparing pricing for bargain bin MB for AM4 against flagship AL boards without acknowledging the significant platform benefits of the later. Surely better comparisons will be possible in a few weeks once the cheaper platform options are launched.

Can we also agree that all has nothing to do with this article, and move on?

——

back on topic

power efficiency for 8P [+ HT] + 8E was really impressive vs 8P [HT]. Seems to validate intel's choice to go heterogeneous and that is despite the kernel lacking heterogeneous aware scheduling for AL. Should only improve going forward.

it’s too bad you can’t completely disable the P cores. Cam CPU pinning/affinity be set such that the one P core is never used by the task under test? Or was that done and I missed it?

It would also be nice to see efficiency and total power to complete tasks in addition to the perf and power plots.

seconding the request to see an AMD part added for comparison sake. But keep in mind comparing CPU consumption across brands/generations does not capture the full picture if your concern is anything other than bragging rights. You need to measure power at the wall to do that properly (ex: RAM and platform controller are significant power consumers)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Except when seasoned IT pros cannot even get Linux to work
      LOL. Get the hell out of here.

I barely followed that LTT debacle, but that was a Pop OS f*ck up. And a rookie mistake on how to handle it. Nothing more, nothing less. No one should be using that garbage, poor excuse for OS. They should have been using Ubuntu since it's targeted towars beginners. Let others graduate to arch, gentoo, whatever. LTT really made Linux look unnecessarily stupid there.

I also find it very bizarre and troubling that you frequent a Linux forum, just to shit on it. Seek help, loser.

EDIT: Michael, you should ban the troll with multiple accounts. While he provides some good info, he is a troll. Nothing more, nothing less. Probably hurts your website because people won't take it seriously. He's a distraction. That's all.
      Last edited by perpetually high; 20 December 2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

LOL. Get the hell out of here.

I barely followed that LTT debacle, but that was Pop OS f*ck up. And a rookie mistake on how to handle it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I find it very bizarre and troubling that you frequent a Linux forum, just to shit on it. Seek help, loser.
        Ah, so there are "right" and "wrong" Linux distros and only you know which one to choose. Sorry, I'm not going down that pit hole. Jokes aside this sentiment completely discredits and invalidates the idea of Linux as a gaming platform only you don't quite see it. You believe every person out there is an IT pro and will gladly spend tens of hours trying to get games to run under a platform which doesn't quite facilitate running proprietary games using a different API altogether.

And I'm here ostensibly trying to convert people. Nope, sorry, not a single person among my friends or acquaintances will ever see Linux installed on their devices. I want to sleep tight and not be woken up by screams that someone's system boots into a black screen or doesn't allow them to log in. My poor six years old (!) laptop with integrated Intel graphics has its graphics broken for 2 months now and I'm just too lazy to report or bisect it. Don't want this crap applied to people I don't want to harm.

Comment

birdie

I'm not sure what "battle" you think you're fighting here, but it is not noble and it is actually pure garbage.

You don't really deserve a further response after this post. It would just be taking the bait, which I think we all need to ban you. Has nothing to do with censorship. You've lost your priveleges to frequent the forum because you are a complete, utter troll. And not a good one. You're not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            birdie

I'm not sure what "battle" you think you're fighting here, but it is not noble and it is actually pure garbage.

You don't really deserve a further response after this post. It would just be taking the bait, which I think we all need to ban you. Has nothing to do with censorship. You've lost your priveleges to frequent the forum because you are a complete, utter troll. And not a good one. You're not even funny.
            So, Linus Gabriel Sebastian's poor experience with Linux is me baiting and trolling? Or r/Linux moderators forbidding to discuss the topic? Or you blatantly stating that PopOS is a bad/inappropriate Linux distro? Sorry, mate, if me providing these facts is "pure garbage" I have nothing else to discuss with you. Looks like your final line of "reasoning" here is insults and I prefer to talk to civil and rational people instead.
            Last edited by birdie; 20 December 2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

So, Linus Gabriel Sebastian's poor experience with Linux is me baiting and trolling? Or r/Linux moderators forbidding to discuss the topic? Or you blatantly stating that PopOS is a bad/inappropriate Linux distro? Sorry, mate, if me providing these facts is "pure garbage" I have nothing else to discuss with you. Looks like your final line of "reasoning" here is insults and I prefer to talk to civil and rational people instead.
              You sound like an absolute idiot typing out his full name like that. And no, he is not an experienced Linux user. He misstepped, and he'll probably tell you that himself. The Anthony guy is legit and I've seen a few of his videos in the past.

Second, nice try backpedaling after all the bullshit you threw into the thread and then acting like you're taking some moral high ground. Foh.

Third, I give a rats ass about coming off as "civil" .. instead, I treat the situation how it deserves to be respected. And you deserve nothing. And you're not fooling absolutely anyone with "my friends" Cut the phony act. Not fooling anyone. Take the best of care.

Comment

1.) PopOS issue was an APT-GET issue + Pop OS issue and this was not great but it could technically happened on Ubuntu/mint/debian/etc. so you are correct is not a POP OS specific issue.

2.) Linus also stated that weird shit happens on Windows too but people are way more used to it and notice i had tons of cases where a regular user was able to format C: and blew his workstation.

3.) forbidding a topic is always bad, i agree here

Basically if you have 0 expertise on anything and wanna game buy a damn console.

If you have some expertise and have some good hardware with windows around, just use it

If you are a Linux user and have good hardware and wanna game, go for it.

Comment

jrch2k8 The problem arises when people install Ubuntu, two weeks pass, and then they install five PPAs, do this, do that, and they break their install.

Linux allows flexibility to do this. Should we blame Linux for allowing the user to do stupid things?

PopOS did something very stupid. Ubuntu did not do something very stupid. It *could* do something very stupid if you mix and match PPAs.

I've said this before, Linux is not meant for non-enthusiasts because there's no perk to the OS if you don't use it for that. Sure, it is fast and lightweight, but is not a perfect solution for everyone. None of my friends (unlike birdie, I really do have friends) use Linux. They use Windows or macOS and I absolutely get that.

Comment

To get back on topic:

Does anyone here actually have an Alder Lake? What are your thoughts? How are you liking it? Would be great if we had someone that's used both Zen3 and Alder Lake on linux that can provide info.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      I also agree here that big little systems are usually very complex to not say a mess even tho the concept is extremely interesting the scheduling is a nightmare and that is not unique to Intel implementation and i honestly believe Intel will jump ship soon enough once they have something else to compete with AMD.

I also agree AMD need to price down Ryzen since their margins are much greater than Intel's at moment but you also have to realize AMD overall is still cheaper if you pick your motherboard right since even first generation motherboards are compatible with Ryzen 5xxx series now.

It is good Intel got a win since competition is great for us but if you are interested in DDR5 i would wait couple of months for AMD AM5 platform and intel refreshments since at moment is a waste of money.
                      AMD margins need to be higher, because they share big chunk of them with TSMC.
                      Intel are much more vertically integrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X