Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Phoronix: Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

One of the much requested Linux benchmarks since the debut of Intel Alder Lake last month has been for seeing the Core i9 12900K in different core configurations with its mix of P and E cores. Now that the Linux kernel activity has begun settling down around Alder Lake, here are those benchmarks for reference purposes with toggling Hyper Threading and different P and E core counts enabled.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, what a mess for a CPU meant to be an all-purpose design. Not what I had expected.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

The article (web page) does not load (in Chrome and Firefox).
      Loading fine here... what isn't loading for you.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        Wow, what a mess for a CPU meant to be an all-purpose design. Not what I had expected.
        Um, what did you expect? I see an impressive uArch which has the best in the world x86 single- and multi-threaded performance (in terms of performance per core). The temps are a bit high but that can be easily fixed by setting PL1/PL2 limits. A sweet spot for 12900K is around 170-190W.

Comment

It would have been infinitely valuable if there was a Ryzen 9 5900X in each of those tests to compare with

Interesting to see the mess the E-cores are in games, something that hardware Unboxed tried to show unsuccessfully

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post
            It would have been infinitely valuable if there was a Ryzen 9 5900X in each of those tests to compare with

Interesting to see the mess the E-cores are in games, something that hardware Unboxed tried to show unsuccessfully
            Another one with "the mess". Are you sure you're using the right word here? HW Unboxed has actually praised Alder Lake and put it above Ryzens in their "Best 2021 CPUs":

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Another one with "the mess". Are you sure you're using the right word here? HW Unboxed has actually praised Alder Lake and put it above Ryzens in their "Best 2021 CPUs":
              Oh, nvidia fanboy chose another company for his fetish. Maybe because of DLSS blurry failure that he promoted as a miracle, the best in the world and so on.. It seems birdie is just AMD hater.
              Last edited by Volta; 20 December 2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Um, what did you expect? I see an impressive uArch which has the best in the world x86 single- and multi-threaded performance (in terms of performance per core). The temps are a bit high but that can be easily fixed by setting PL1/PL2 limits. A sweet spot for 12900K is around 170-190W.
                I did not know we had the writer of UserBenchmark here, what a honor

Comment

Michael you say it gives the option to enable AVX 512 but you dont specify if you did or not, could you clarify?

Comment

A glorified 8 Core CPU in 2021. Hot, power hungry and expensive for not that much power.
                    You could have two 5900X running at the same time using the same wattage as one of those bad bois.

Comment

Working...
                    X