No announcement yet.

Intel Core i5 12600K / Core i9 12900K "Alder Lake" Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting results, I can't wait to see how it performs with the Thread Director. This could improve power consumption for some workload as well.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
      Performance is good, but power consumptions is quite high.
      Not really. 12600k draws about as much power as 5800X and yields about the same performance. Power draw is not a marked improvement over Zen3, that's for sure, but it's not high.

Comment

I was impressed with these benchmarks as well when watching Gamers Nexus. Then I saw power usage... (for one benchmark only though).
        It draws TWICE!! as much power for Blender. Bloody 5950X uses 120W on it's 12V powerline so it is quite accurate CPU power usage than the overall system power usage.
        12900K uses 240W compared to 120W on a 5950X!!
        12900K ended up with same result as 5950X which is of course impressive BUT with twice as much power usage...
        I'd be very interested with an extended test that also shows power usage for each test.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          As much as I consider Intel to be the Monsanto of the semiconductor world, there's been one thing they've done very well for a long time and it's pretty uncharacteristic of them to fail so badly on bringing up Linux support before launch.
          Intel has seemingly also given up on their efforts to support Control-flow Enforcement on Linux, so it doesn't surprise me that they are also way behind on supporting other new processor features.

Comment

It is basically what was to be expected. The single threaded performance is pretty awesome thanks to the new architecture and high clocks. I find the multi-threading results a bit underwhelming TBH. Of course, 16 "big" Ryzen cores outpace Intel's 8P+8E configuration whenever the workload scales well. However, I would've expected a more competitive power draw for this configuration given the fact that 8 cores are "efficiency cores".

Nonetheless, this is a compelling product for desktop use where very few workloads scale well beyond 8 cores. It will be interesting to see how well the Xeons built on this are received because in HPC multi-threading performance and power draw during full load are the most relevant factors. This appears to be behind AMD still. I kinda expected the E-cores to improve the MT-perf per power draw rating. Currently, this does not appear to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not really. 12600k draws about as much power as 5800X and yields about the same performance. Power draw is not a marked improvement over Zen3, that's for sure, but it's not high.
              True 12600K seem to look good, 12900K on the other hand...

Comment

I was expecting better to read all the headlines about 12xxx 'crushing' AMD's 5950, and yet... it really doesn't even on Windows especially when you factor in heat and power consumption. Intel has been trying to gloss over its fab problems. This could have been a real winner - except Intel being behind on their fab process is what really shows them up in the power consumption numbers. People were naively expecting a AMD killer, and this isn't it. The numbers belie all the hype. The really bad fanbois were expecting an M1 killer, and this is no where close to it. It's obvious why Apple switched at this point. They demanded a truly power efficient CPU/GPU combo and Intel had nothing to show even years down the road.

Power consumption is the first shoe, I wonder if there will be another?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Linux looks to be terribly unprepared for Alder Lake CPUs.

All other websites and review(er)s show a massive lead for Intel both for 720p and 1080p and only on Phoronix Ryzen 5000 CPUs take the lead.

You can automatically discard benchmark results on Win 11 as invalid. It's completely borked for AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post

You can automatically discard benchmark results on Win 11 as invalid. It's completely borked for AMD.
                    All the reviewers had Windows 11 fully patched which includes a Ryzen 5000 L3 cache fix.

The Intel Core i9-12900K is Intel's flagship processor for the Alder Lake architecture. In our testing, we saw fantastic gaming performance from this new processor. Not only low-threaded tests have improved, the 12900K can even beat AMD at highly threaded workloads.

Windows 11 Professional 64-bit
                    Build 10.0.22000.282
                    Includes AMD L3 latency fix
                    Last edited by birdie; 04 November 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

All the reviewers had Windows 11 fully patched which includes a Ryzen 5000 L3 cache fix.
                      It's still broken unless the reviewer did a clean reinstall of WIn 11 on each CPU change.

Comment

Working...
                      X