Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loongson Continues Working On LoongArch For Linux, But It's Mostly Copying MIPS Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

This is kind of what open-source, GNU and Linux is all about.

If Linux can support the old N64 hardware, why not an internal Chinese processor which has many more users? Also, why should Apple have their shite internal processor supported but not one from a Chinese company?

Yes, useless for many (i.e getting hold of a Loongson laptop was extremely difficult for me) but Linux really is a big bargain bucket of hardware support. It seems a bit messy but ultimately is one of its major strengths.

Plus looking at some reviews such as this: https://www.techspot.com/news/90544-...rst-ryzen.html
    It is certainly looking "good enough" as a viable day to day processor.
    Sure but Linux/GNU doesn't support every architecture under the sun and the history of computing, lines have to be drawn. Linux has dropped architectures in the past because no one really uses them and in regards to accepting a new architectures there needs to be an appropriate part of support, and I personally don't think Loongson passes this threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Sure but Linux/GNU doesn't support every architecture under the sun and the history of computing, lines have to be drawn. Linux has dropped architectures in the past because no one really uses them and in regards to accepting a new architectures there needs to be an appropriate part of support, and I personally don't think Loongson passes this threshold.
      I'm sorry, but that's just silly. China has arguably the largest internal domestic market in the world, perhaps second only to the US but certainly on a higher growth curve. If indeed the policy of the CCP is to internally source CPUs to avoid questionable foreign products (which it is), there's going to be plenty of users, even if it's only the Chinese Public Sector. Furthermore, there clearly are volunteers to maintain it, somewhat overzealous in fact with wanting to fork the kernel MIPS architecture code!

Why is there so much anti-China rhetoric on a technology site anyway?

Comment

Sure but Linux/GNU doesn't support every architecture under the sun and the history of computing, lines have to be drawn. Linux has dropped architectures in the past because no one really uses them
        I think that's mainly an issue that no one really maintained them! The N64 example is very apt. That's a case where perhaps a few dozen people might actually go to the trouble of booting Linux on a N64, but as long as someone is willing to maintain that platform & it's not burdensome for the rest of the kernel, that's apparently good enough.

in regards to accepting a new architectures there needs to be an appropriate part of support, and I personally don't think Loongson passes this threshold.
        What do you mean by "an appropriate part of support"? And where is the threshold?

Comment

obviously china is doing what other developed countries did in these 40 years. does anyone remember when US was the sole author of encryption standard for using with government.

we are disposable to corporations and elected governments in almost every country.

in another ex president words "military-industrial complex"...

Comment

Working...
          X