AMD Is Currently Hiring More Linux Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

My former employer was a government agency...what did you expect? Elections have consequences.

Thank you so much for your kind remarks - it made my evening. I leave you with a quote and an opinion.

‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has […]

And this forum is a democracy. Who knows what people really want? Many of the issues discussed on this forum are discussed because of democracy and people fire each other up because of opinions on the best way to do things. Passion and beliefs are good - personal attacks I can do without.
    Winston Churchill was a shitbag who starved millions of Indians. Fuck him.

When are we pulling down his statues and slashing his paintings?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Don't forget the fun legal agreements you have to sign, could prevent you from reporting anything negative or publically leaked secrets about AMD in the future.........
      Presumably if I ever got a conventional job in the tech world, I would no longer be writing.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        Are they hiring anyone to finally make a Linux GUI, equivalent to Adrenalin on Windows?

If not then they still consider Linux users second class customers, who should be happy they get anything at all.

And disparaged when they get uppity, as when Oliver Twist dared asked "Please sir, may I have another?"
        Well I don't care much about a Linux GUI, plus the way Linux graphics stack works is different from Windows graphics stack. Not much point in a control panel, other than the driconfig one that applies tweaks.

Comment

His statue was removed from the White House by a prior US president. You are really on a roll tonight.
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

+1

Mantle, Freesync, CodeXL, proper ISA docs, and much more are I would like to see from other companies. AMD have not been innocent in the past, for example their shared FPU. AMD was held accountable and gave money back to their customers.

Intel has been doing some good things in software. Hardware is another story. The 4-core area with limited PCIe lanes, locked multipliers, paying Principled Technologies for unfair 3rd party benchmarks and using industrial chillers for benchmarks at Computex. More shortcuts in CPU security and CPU firmware security than any other major company. Worst thing is that Intel is not held accountable.

Nvidia takes the cake with their opportunism. Vendor lock-in technologies like: CUDA, GSync, RTX. Vendor scandals (nvidia partner program), numerous times with gimped hardware, false advertising, and Gameworks anti-competitive hacks to sabotage performance on non-nvidia hardware. Nvidia is not held accountable for the majority of their illegal activities. They did give money back due to the slow memory on the GTX 970.

Again, nobody or no company is perfect. AMD has a good balance between making profit and moving the industry forward. I hope it stays this way for a long time.

I have researched the events described but have not spent that much time researching (attempted) law suits. If there are cases that I am not aware of please let me know.

Finally to the new and existing AMD Linux Engineers: Good luck and let us known if we can help you to help us!
            Let's get some facts straight here:
            • RTX is not a lock-on technology, it's a standard in a form of DXR/Vulkan RT (extensions)
            • NVIDIA partner program could have been real but nothing has ever been revealed officially. Also I vividly remember what it was all about and to me it looked like too much ado about nothing: NVIDIA basically told its partners to have an exclusive NVIDIA lineup which did not prevent the companies from having comparable AMD GPUs lineups under a different moniker
            • GSync doesn't actually lock you in: GSync monitors could be used with AMD cards only they lose the ability to work as VRR monitors - they are also so ridiculously overpriced you could as well say that Porsche 911 locks you into Porsche AG's spare parts and this car is only for certain certified by Porsche AG roads but no, that's not the case except for spare parts - and GSync monitors do contain a lot of expensive IC which is not found in FreeSync monitors
            • Gameworks has long been open-sourced and it it has never used any hidden proprietary NVIDIA APIs: it's based off standard D3D11/12 calls. There were games developers which misused the tech, e.g. Crytek in Crysis 2 with insane amounts of tesselation but I'm doubtful NVIDIA actually mandated/dictated such shenanigans. And yes, AMD GPUs tesselation performance was subpar until probably the RX 400 series, so you cannot really blame NVIDIA as tesselation was a perfect fit for Gameworks
            • Gimped hardware numerous times? Are you talking about the GTX 970 which featured 512MB of slow VRAM? It was proven not to affect game performance in any meaningful way. I don't remember any other gimped devices made by NVIDIA
            I love when corporations and their dirty tactics get exposed but I hate when people keep referring to the things which were either irrelevant or misinterpreted.

In short half of your post is made of half-truths or outright lies. Please stop citing LTT YouTube channel: the guy used to be neutral, but for the past several years he's been a rabid AMD fan.

I'm not defending NVIDIA - I am not their fan in any shape or form. I buy tech products only based on their performance*stability*features*software/cost.

My last AMD purchase, an RX 5600 XT was a major bummer: the card was horribly unstable both under Windows and Linux. I tolerated it for five months and then replaced it with a GTX 1660 Ti which has been rock solid.
            Last edited by birdie; 12 February 2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post

Okay, fair enough. But my second statement remains. Why Dr. Su didn't explained all this on CES, instead of remaining silent pretending that everything is okay, and talking almost an hour of nonsense. CES is the consumers(i.e. people buying form the stores), not investors. Please don't become another intel. We need to know your status, and eventually wait for your great products.
              Also why you didn't included RDNA2 UVD for Cezanne? Every third video I see on YT is AV1 now, let along several years from now.
              RDNA2 is probably not optimized for low power consumption yet. All of the current RDNA2 GPUs are heavyweights that draw a few hundred wards of power. No 6700, 6600, or 6500 yet (sounds like NVIDIA numbering from a decade ago, lol).

But yeah, AMD is definitely behind on the curve when it comes to video decode and encode capabilities. Intel is way way better in that respect.

Looks like Intel chose to focus more on end user client chips, and that's why their main focus is on SoCs with a bunch of additional chips. Well designed ASICs trump CPUs for purposes like video decode/encode, speech recognition, graphics etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                As an European(eastern one, albeit), working in the IT field, I am ashamed. We have exactly 0 companies with strategic meaning. Where are ours Google, AWS, Azure, Samsung, TSMC, etc. Oh I remember, the only concern of our politicians are human rights (prisoners, criminals, rapers, refuges, etc. )
                If you are top Silicon engineer would you like to live in shitholes like London, Berlin, Paris, etc, where you can't be safe even for your children/wife. Good luck EUSSR!
                BOOOM your words are to much truth for these vanilla icecream Left-Wing social justice worriors...

in 1945 Nationalistic germany had the technological lead in computers ( Zuse Z3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer )
                also in Jet airplanes also in stealth eirplanes also in Rocket science also in chemical industry of syntetic fuels also in tanks also in automation and weapons in general like the StG44 and its vampire nightvision system also in submarines "type 21" the stealth submarine... also Haunebu 2 had anti-gravity and free energy power subbly and so one and so one...

this EUSSR is a complete joke they just hold the germans hostage to make them slaves so they pay for all in europa and make sure germany is the only one who pay anything in europe because all other EU nations pay nothing.

one is clear... as soon as the EU stop holding the germans Hostage we germans will bring Free Energy and Anti-Gravity Haunebu UFOs to the poor masses.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

His statue was removed from the White House by a prior US president. You are really on a roll tonight.
                  White House sure. What about the rest of the country? More importantly, the British still revere that shitbag. When are they making amends for their racist past and present?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    Mantle, Freesync, CodeXL, proper ISA docs, and much more are I would like to see from other companies. AMD have not been innocent in the past, for example their shared FPU. AMD was held accountable and gave money back to their customers.
                    WRONG.... a CPU does not need a FPU/SIMD unit at all.
                    Parallax P8X32A Propeller

"The math extensions are intended to help compensate for the lack of a floating-point unit,"

what you said is complete wrong because for a CPU you do not need FPU or SIMD unit.
                    like the Parallax Propeller it is a 8core 32bit cpu without a FPU.

also WRONG again AMD did not pay because of the shared FPU unit they in fact paid because of the decoder what was not able to run the 8 integer cores indepentendly (AMD fixed the Decoder later so they can utilize the 8 integer cores indepentendly)

if you believe it or not the Ryzen cpus also have shared FPU/SIMD units but they have decoder to use all their integer cores indepentend and also use the half FPU/SIMD indepentend... yes you read right the "Half" because the full one is shared between 2 cores.

Comment

I support you at this point. Winston Churchill was a mass murderer.

Comment

Working...
                      X