AMD Is Currently Hiring More Linux Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I remember the Governor of Texas issuing a stay-at-home order for the entire state of California, in order to try to slow down that influx.
    The situation is much more complicated than that... your contributions are extensive but I would encourage you to avoid this issue - it is about as simple as trying to get an elementary school child to try to get an 8-bit Windows game to try run natively on Windows 10. You will not see a happy ending. I will give you a hint, though. Many States in the US would rather see California citizens stay in California. Texas has only hit the news because of its size and population. The situation in California is so bad that their governor who was elected with an incredible majority may face a recall because of the way he handled COVID. In addition, COVID, with its work from home allowances from many tech companies has caused quite a few people to leave the Silicon Valley and San Francisco area to find much more affordable living elsewhere which has had an interesting shift on real estate prices (which were very high) and has impacted property taxes in California. The politics are very ugly in that Southwestern part of the US - avoid it if at all possible. I respect you too much to see you dragged dwn this rabbit hole. Heel, the KDE vs. Gnome discussions would seem like playground games compared to what some people would think and say here.

And for anyone who has a partisan axe to grind on this - my opinions are my own, however, if you do not think that there are major differences in opinion between the West Coast of the US (particularly California) and the central US (not counting the East Coast), then you are not following and/or do not understand US politics (hell, I am a US citizen and I do not understand US politics). I am not trying to criticize or demean anyone, I am just stating a fact and have absolutely no desire to open up that can of worms. My intent was to inform Mr. Bridgman (whom I respect greatly) that this is far more complicated than it appears. I am sure that he would do the same thing for me if I made an innocent statement about the Québécois and how they relate to the rest of Canada. I am certainly sure that the vast majority of Canadians ignore such differences and work well together (and I have worked with Canadians - if I was ever lost in the world and could not seek US help, I would go to the Canadians - they are incredible and they have have a sense of humor and wit that makes every other nation pale in comparison - I would recommend all of you do the same if you are lost in the world), but I am also just as sure that I am as ignorant on AMD linux development as Mr. Bridgman is on whatever it is I do better than him (which is probably not very much if anything).

Oh wait...I am better at being locked down because of COVID in a small apartment in Bayern, Germany than he is since he lives in the "Toronto-ish" area of Canada. Haha - I am smarter than Mr. Bridgman on living in a small Oberpfalz town in Bavaria.

Big woop de do da.
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Anyone who has worked in the "fed" space understands this very, very well. The term "beltway bandits" has often been used to describe the various consulting and services industries that end up being paid at market rates rather than at some of the GS-xx salaries that do not always reward competency.
      You sound like you speak from experience with this mess....if i ever meet you in person (COVID willing), I will definitely but you a beer - or if you wish, my drink of choice - bourbon straight or a dry martini straight up with an olive - preferably Bombay Blue Sapphire. And by bourbon, I do not mean Jack Daniels - true bourbon drinkers avoid that over-priced drink.
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
        The situation is much more complicated than that... your contributions are extensive but I would encourage you to avoid this issue
        Yep, good advice. My only involvement was spitting some coffee on my keyboard when I read an email from a friend in Austin about it. It wasn't the issue itself that I found funny, just the way it was wrapped up as a COVID-19 prevention order.

I moved about 60km out of the city long before the pandemic (around 2005) so I guess technically I'm one of the people that the locals don't want moving out here either, but between the grey hair and the old pickup truck I guess I blend in well enough to be tolerated.

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
        I have retired from one job already - ironically enough, I am making more money working for a company that is advising my former employer on how do the things that I did when I worked for my former employer...what a gig.
        That sounds about as good as it gets.
        Last edited by bridgman; 11 February 2021, 11:28 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Are they hiring anyone to finally make a Linux GUI, equivalent to Adrenalin on Windows?

If not then they still consider Linux users second class customers, who should be happy they get anything at all.

And disparaged when they get uppity, as when Oliver Twist dared asked "Please sir, may I have another?"

Comment

Originally posted by Imout0 View Post
            Is birdie aware? He could apply and destroy AMD from the inside for once and all.
            You've confused me with someone else. I've been trying to make Linux better for over 20 years by offering ways to make it a 1st-class desktop OS and reporting and fixing bugs in numerous Linux projects (e.g. the Linux kernel, KDE, Wine, GCC, Midnight Commander) along the way.

As for AMD - if it works for them great - NVIDIA is doing just fine with their proprietary drivers. If you believe AMD does that because they are fans of Open Source - nope, they see a business avenue in that.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

As for AMD - if it works for them great - NVIDIA is doing just fine with their proprietary drivers. If you believe AMD does that because they are fans of Open Source - nope, they see a business avenue in that.
              I don't think that anybody here in PHOrum has the illusion, AMD is doing what they do just out of pure altruism. They are for-profit and there is nothing wrong with that. If they can generate profit and support FOSS as they do now (or even more) - yeah, i'll support them too.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We're still trying... 6900XT sampling was very limited and a lot of Windows reviewers didn't get HW either.
                I am still wondering, why the heck AMD will produce all this hype around its GPUs, when they can't sample them, even for reviewers. I am AMD fan(and user) from K6-2 days, but this just ruins your reputation.
                So instead of dr. Lisa, talking gibberish last month on CES, she could honestly explain to us all manufacturing issues. No one was giving a crap about Luis Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  So instead of dr. Lisa, talking gibberish last month on CES, she could honestly explain to us all manufacturing issues. No one was giving a crap about Luis Hamilton.
                  Constraint of manufacturing capacity and I suspect fulfilling the PS5 & XBox orders was hoovering up AMD's slots at TSMC but this is an issue we face as leading nodes seem to be in short supply worldwide and I think it's only going to get worse before it gets better by building more foundries that aren't in questionable strategic locations. The lack of foundries in Europe should be of great concern to Europeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Constraint of manufacturing capacity and I suspect fulfilling the PS5 & XBox orders was hoovering up AMD's slots at TSMC but this is an issue we face as leading nodes seem to be in short supply worldwide and I think it's only going to get worse before it gets better by building more foundries that aren't in questionable strategic locations. The lack of foundries in Europe should be of great concern to Europeans.
                    As an European(eastern one, albeit), working in the IT field, I am ashamed. We have exactly 0 companies with strategic meaning. Where are ours Google, AWS, Azure, Samsung, TSMC, etc. Oh I remember, the only concern of our politicians are human rights (prisoners, criminals, rapers, refuges, etc. )
                    If you are top Silicon engineer would you like to live in shitholes like London, Berlin, Paris, etc, where you can't be safe even for your children/wife. Good luck EUSSR!

Comment

Originally posted by slowee View Post

I don't think that anybody here in PHOrum has the illusion, AMD is doing what they do just out of pure altruism. They are for-profit and there is nothing wrong with that. If they can generate profit and support FOSS as they do now (or even more) - yeah, i'll support them too.
                      +1

Mantle, Freesync, CodeXL, proper ISA docs, and much more are I would like to see from other companies. AMD have not been innocent in the past, for example their shared FPU. AMD was held accountable and gave money back to their customers.

Intel has been doing some good things in software. Hardware is another story. The 4-core area with limited PCIe lanes, locked multipliers, paying Principled Technologies for unfair 3rd party benchmarks and using industrial chillers for benchmarks at Computex. More shortcuts in CPU security and CPU firmware security than any other major company. Worst thing is that Intel is not held accountable.

Nvidia takes the cake with their opportunism. Vendor lock-in technologies like: CUDA, GSync, RTX. Vendor scandals (nvidia partner program), numerous times with gimped hardware, false advertising, and Gameworks anti-competitive hacks to sabotage performance on non-nvidia hardware. Nvidia is not held accountable for the majority of their illegal activities. They did give money back due to the slow memory on the GTX 970.

Again, nobody or no company is perfect. AMD has a good balance between making profit and moving the industry forward. I hope it stays this way for a long time.

I have researched the events described but have not spent that much time researching (attempted) law suits. If there are cases that I am not aware of please let me know.

Finally to the new and existing AMD Linux Engineers: Good luck and let us known if we can help you to help us!

Edit: I don't watch LTT much, just noticed this now. Just need to watch the first few seconds.
                      Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12 February 2021, 08:50 AM. Reason: Added LLT video

Comment

Working...
                      X