Linux Kernel Developers Discuss Dropping A Bunch Of Old CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    aarch64 is actually fairly rare for Linux. You have Raspberry Pi, a few other hobbiest SoC and very few servers that only a small number of companies can seem to get hold of. Yes, you could include Android in all that but that is like saying that Linux has a higher market share than Windows. It is a technicality that is fairly meaningless.
    Why do you think that Linux shipping on billions of mobile and embedded devices every year is "fairly meaningless"?

The popularity of Linux on arm in the embedded and mobile markets is very real whether or not you approve of it. Organizations like Arm, Google, and Linaro which are major kernel contributors[1][2][3][4][5] would not be contributing to the same extent if Linux wasn't massively popular on arm. Your post really reads like a sour grapes coping response from someone who just strongly dislikes Linux.

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/816162/
    [2] https://lwn.net/Articles/821813/
    [3] https://lwn.net/Articles/827735/
    [4] https://lwn.net/Articles/834085/
    [5] https://lwn.net/Articles/839772/

Comment

Well, the Dragonbox Pyra has just started shipping with an aarch32/armhf CPU (TI OMAP5432). Purchasers (who have been very, very patient) are getting the first production models now. The developers were unhappy, but understanding, of the decision to drop aarch32 KVM support. So obscure CPU architectures do have a life.
      I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on one. Finally. So I would be a bit unhappy to find support has been dropped in the linux kernel.

Comment

aarch64 is actually fairly rare for Linux. You have Raspberry Pi, a few other hobbiest SoC and very few servers that only a small number of companies can seem to get hold of. Yes, you could include Android in all that but that is like saying that Linux has a higher market share than Windows. It is a technicality that is fairly meaningless.
        ARM64 percentages should spike if Microsoft would openly announce Windows 10 on ARM instead of keeping it as an WindowsInsider-only product.

It should lead to OEMs at least considering the use of ARM64, which in turn results in potentially more ARM64 laptops and desktop machines for Linux to work on.

Comment

Alpha 21064... I'd be a bit sad if they dropped that one. I've still got one sitting next to my main desk in my office running Gentoo... It runs slowly, but can still run Gnome Shell (after I popped a PCI Radeon 5400 in it).

I did end up setting up distcc on it so that I could offload most of the upgrade-related compilation off to my desktop Ryzen system, but the fact remains the system is still running a modern software stack.

Comment

i wish if mesa dev do the same

Comment

aarch64 is actually fairly rare for Linux. You have Raspberry Pi, a few other hobbiest SoC and very few servers that only a small number of companies can seem to get hold of.
              And the Pinephone, Pinetab, Pinebook, and all the other cool stuff Pine64 makes. That's in addition to the Librem5. There's also been the slow transition to aarch64 for SFOS, but most of those devices run evil, filthy, ancient Android kernels with libhyrbris.

Furthermore, I think most Pi users are still running 32-bit RaspberrypiOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                Well, the Dragonbox Pyra has just started shipping with an aarch32/armhf CPU (TI OMAP5432). Purchasers (who have been very, very patient) are getting the first production models now.
                After all the failures like the Neo900 and whatnot, I'm shocked and impressed that EvilDragon actually pulled it off after all these years. I probably would have pre-ordered if I had any confidence he could actually deliver, but I didn't. I guess I was half-right. It took much longer than he expected, but at least he eventually did it. Gotta' salute the guy for his tenacity and persistence through all the major setbacks. I hope to be able to order one at some point. It looks like a really cool machine.

Comment

Is there confirmation about the 486? I have a computer with Linux and that processor. I know a couple of people who use Linux in a couple of 486DX machines. I also have Linux on a Pentium 1 MMX, and that's the next one on the line.... :/

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir86 View Post
                    Is there confirmation about the 486? I have a computer with Linux and that processor. I know a couple of people who use Linux in a couple of 486DX machines. I also have Linux on a Pentium 1 MMX, and that's the next one on the line.... :/
                    even if it is dropped in 5.11, 5.10 will be maintained for a while. plenty of time to replace your 486 with much more efficient modern hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

even if it is dropped in 5.11, 5.10 will be maintained for a while. plenty of time to replace your 486 with much more efficient modern hardware.
                      My efforts are aimed into getting old systems no one wants into doing useful day to day things instead of piliing up rubbish dumps. To preserve hardware for computer museums and to teach computing. There is no "more efficient modern hardware" in the case of that specific machine. Also 486 plus Linux is massively used on industrial machinery too! It was officially manufactured till 2007, and is still being made as clone CPUS for robotic arms, pe. So I am not sure they'll drop 486 support. Specially considering it is a very modern and as generic as it goes (in instruction set) X86 architecture.

And if that weirds you out, think that modern hardware is sometimes either overkill for some functions, or less fit to purpose than older one. I am looking at my 6 year old Thinkpad and sweating thinking about what kind of expensive dock station or dongles i'll need to buy to mimic the functionality of my laptop, and how to cope with having to work in the outside without easily replaceable batteries. Thin laptops are brilliant as a flimsy student with a weak back that can't hold over 2kgs, but horrible for field work or if you want performance and want to avoid thermal throttling.

And don't mention people who simply can't afford upgrading. Forcing obsolescence is bad.

If they stop support of 486 CPUS I won't upgrade. I'll just switch to BSD on that machine and hope they keep support for longer. My little 486 laptop works fine and I invested a lot of love and work into restoring it. It have been serving me for many years now!

Comment

Working...
                      X